Friday, June 14, 2013

What A Difference A Few Years Experience Makes

My possibilities are wide open.

In the last post I mention sending my resume for receptionist jobs. But I also have other opportunities now. Four years ago I moved up to this area knowing that I had a whole lot more chances to find a job than where I was because there are tons of strip malls up here in each direction. I applied to baby clothes stores, pet stores, clothing stores, candy stores. I was applying to all sorts of places. But nothing was on my resume except cleaning a dirty gear factory, pushing machine buttons, and some cosmetology school. My 3.5 years at the grocery store gave me the experience I needed. And breaking out of my negative shell led me to get the experience I needed to be comfortable. I know I can apply to those stores and more this time and have something to say and show about me. I don't have to limit myself or feel limited. Plus now there's a lot more beauty supply type stores I can try and some are big enough to need help. Back then I applied to a place that was basically a fast paced mani-pedi chain. They wanted someone to wash the pedicure bowls and such. I applied but didn't hear back. I probably would have been scared to death to be hired there. But not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment