Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day 162 ~ Rubrics Square ~ 3/25/14

Cosmetology School Journey ~ Day 162 ~ Rubrics Square ~ 3/25/14

1126 Hours
77 Guests

So I hit that hour mark of 1125 for the 75% but I don't have the practicals done to get the Star pin for it. So lets see how long that takes. I've got 374 hours left. That's 10 weeks, 3 days, and 3 hours. 29 of those days are days I can have a guest. The rest are classroom days, Salon fair days, and tomorrow and friday on desk. That's if I don't have another week of desk or dispense coming. If I don't miss a day or have another school closing day those last 3 hours will be on Tuesday June 10th with the celebrating being on Friday the 13th. That's if I have my work done by then.

Tuesday Classroom Day: Day 1 of Rubrics for Haircutting.
A friend that I gave a haircut to on New Years Day came today to be a model for my haircutting rubric test. I cut her hair last time from longer than shoulders to just below in a one length. This time I had to do some sort of layered cut for the test. I could not do a one length trim unless I then did the other cuts after that. My options were a 90 degree Round Layers, a Graduated / Wedge Bob type or a Square layer cut. There's two versions of the square layer to choose from. One being pull the hair straight back from the head and the other being pull it straight up from the head. My friend wasn't trying to go too short and I was trying to help her keep her length where I left it last time. I had my manikin from last Thursday to show her what the straight back square layers looked like. That was the best option because the bottom length is the guide. It does make lots of layers in the back going upward and gives some graduation. But the bottom perimeter stays where it was and so does the sides. With a few exceptions. Any hair that when pulled back passes the guide is going to be cut. So its a matter of if something grew enough to reach past. In this case there was a little bit. I did the cut and met the time the test gives and I passed. But more important to me is that it looked nice on her. As I just stated school will be over soon. So I am being mindful that I need to give nice hairstyles and service to my guests whether its a test or not. I've been very fortunate to meet the friends I have that have had services done. I'd like to continue to see them after I finish school.

This was my last rubric. It seems kinda strange now being on this side of it. When I read those other blogs last year about those other students and they mentioned having to get models for rubrics. Such a funny word too. I know it may sound like a broken record to some but I have accomplished something that I thought I would not be able to do. I was too scared. I think back to my meat department job and trying to get myself to open my mouth to talk to the customers. Looking back at it the best thing that could have happened was for them to rearrange the store a month or so after I started in that department after leaving nights. Because every customer needed help. And for years after that they still did. So it made it easier for me to just open up and ask as they came around the corner from the dairy aisle if they needed help finding anything. And then no matter what it was I went to find it with them. To me it was also a bit of a karma thing. No matter how obscure the item was if I didn't go find it I knew it was going to be asked for really soon after that so I might as well find it. Anyway, I had 6 Rehearsal Rubrics: Relaxers, Male Haircutting, Highlighting, Perm, Haircolor, and Haircutting. For the first two, relaxer and male haircut we were allowed to do them on a manikin. But after that Regency reminded their campuses that they wanted to require we use live models. So I had no choice. And the reality is that its not fair for me to expect other students to let me use them as a model if I'm not willing to be a model myself. I have done some things that I held back from doing to my hair but going shorter is not an option right now. And I don't want layers. But I know that being able to have guests request me was a big factor in coming to Regency. I needed this chance to try this before getting to a salon and possibly failing at bringing models in. 3 out of 4 of my models are people I met in December or later. I was told I had to have a model and I was fortunate enough to have it work out. I'm trying not to say I did it, I did it because the models had to do their part. I am thankful to them. I had a model for a perm. Someone let me squirt dangerous chemicals on their head. That's a scary thing. I'm glad I had some previous chances before the classroom test. I had people let me change the color of their hair. So I'm looking at all these words I keep typing. The huge paragraphs. I guess I just needed to know that people would trust me. That they would give me the chance. I didn't know if I had the talent or skill or speed. But I remember back to the day I got my kit. I don't care which tools may or may not have been the cheap ones or what has or hasn't broken yet. What I do care about is that I wanted the chance to use those tools. I wanted to see if I could make some pretty with them. I've been fortunate to be able to say that I have used all of my tools. I'm happy to say that even includes a diffuser that does not come with my kit. I'm really glad I bought that.

So I guess the bottom line is that yes I have some fear that I'm not going to finish on time. But there are some facts about that. One, I have things I'm going to try to solve that problem. Two, some of you have already offered to help. Three, I'm going to finish no matter what the month is.
I still have a long way to go skill wise. I know that the skills are amped up in the salon. But what I'm realizing is that I don't just have the passion or desire to use my tools. I'm trying not to sound arrogant to say this but I feel like I have talent. Or an eye for it. But I do still have some hurdles to overcome. Only these days when I think about them I just kinda laugh about them. They aren't hundred foot high hurdles. More like the size of a mirror....

Thanks for reading
I Love You All <3
~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment