Saturday, January 25, 2014

Day 125 ~ May Be June ~ 1/25/14

Cosmetology School Journey ~ Day 125 ~ May Be June ~ 1/25/14

869 Hours
56 Guests

Day 125 is on 1/25 thanks to the school closing yesterday

So doing the math for 631 hours left puts me at 18 weeks and 1 hour left. So right now with the max of 35 hrs per week that puts me at the first week of June at the earliest to graduate. The last week of May would have been possible without my sick day and the snow days. Which is not really news. I knew it was still going to be June. And its only going to be that early if I have my practicals done then. After that its overtime. But I'm no longer scared of that. I want to get them done whenever it happens. The sooner the better but as long as I get the practise I need I don't mind. Because I now know that June date is coming. Its 4 months. The cold weather is still around but the sun is back out again when I'm arriving and leaving school. Its starting to feel like those first days again when I got in the car and strolled my car down that alley to turn onto the main road. Somedays I even have the pleasure of the company of my best friend on that stroll. It seems like such a short time. I'm riding quite a train here and more cars are being added. I still have my doubts as to whether my speed will ever be good enough for a salon to hire me. I mean would any of them want a stylist who can only do 3 clients tops per day? But I am doing everything I can to set myself up to not have to worry about that. I've said it before, I'm not working someplace that's not the right place for me anyway. There's no sense burning bridges I shouldn't even be trying to cross. I do what I do for the people in the chair in front of me. I can't let anything take my mind off of that. I love what I have the pleasure of doing. The honor of doing. People have let me care for them. Its what I wanted to try. Ok I'm doing some talking here. Been listening to some music. I try not to talk so much about the same thing over and over. But this is the place for it. This journal has served its purpose very well. Combined with FB. So anyway lets get on to the stuff you may have come to read instead of that.

Performance Floor Saturday:
My coworker who came for purple hair and spiral iron curls returned today to bring her mother. Her mother was coming for a haircut. She hadn't had one in a few years and was going for quite a change. This was the first time I had hair in a ponytail to start a cut by snipping it off. But I was still only bringing her up to about shoulder to neck length. Not short short.
The cut we were going for was that of a local news reporter named Monica Gayle
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18427200/monica-gayle
I'm happy to say that I got pretty close to that and the main thing is she wants to return for trims and such "no matter where I am".
As I was getting close to finishing up with her I was told I had a perm coming up next. So I got lunch done and then met a new guest to Regency. And older lady who had already had a perm somewhere else. She received a basic perm wrap using alternating grey and slightly smaller pink rods. Whats funny about this is months ago I practised a perm on the floor using the pink rods and Mrs V said something about being impressed that I was using them and that we probably wouldn't have anyone getting a pink rod perm. I will say this. I am glad I got to do the perm. The lady did ask me a few times as I got started if I was good with perms or if I'd done them. Something to that effect. She was nice about it. But I'm glad no one else had to worry about it if she would have been a bit fidgety with them. Mrs L did the first 3 or 4 rods on top and then I took over. As I was wrapping I had her turned so that her right shoulder was pointed at the mirror. The lady was turning her head to see what I was doing so I had to be a bit tough with her and said as nicely as I could "I need you to look straight for me so I can do this right for you" I don't think she tried it after that. I also nudged the chair a bit more away from the mirror after that. I did the full middle row and the whole left side and then Mrs E came over to wrap the other side so we could get some time for the haircut later. I'm happy to say that I got through the rinsing without soaking her and because I now put the garbage can behing the chair with a new bag I don't have to worry about the lake on the floor. But since her cape didn't get soaked I didn't get any in the can either. Its not to say it won't happen next time. But for this one it was dry. Mrs E even mentioned it when she was redraping her as I was cleaning up the sink. For the cut it was a slight trim in back at the bottom and then a 90 degree round layer. I did the whole thing. I did this on newly permed tight curls so talk about not being able to see a guide with the ends going different directions. So I winged the thing. I just went to work without sections and snipped little bits off so that I was making straight lines at least and not taking large amounts off. It probably took me 10 minutes. Mrs V was available to check it and said it was good. She didn't want a roller set so it was a bit of mousse and she was ready to go. She didn't want to dry it either. But I got the job done. She was happy. I gave her my card in case I'm still around when she comes back for something. She may need a color soon. I know perms smell but I just don't mind it. I don't like my capes smelling like it as far as the guests having to smell it so I'm glad I got the extra purple ones now. I just keep using the black ones for the perms. Its to the point now where I can almost recite the inside box directions. Basically its set one timer for 20 minutes while the solution is on. I set the other for 7-10 depending on which teacher tells me which time. Then I do the test curl with them watching. Then its rinse for 5 minutes. Towel blot. Apply the neutralizer but save about an ounce. Wait 5 minutes. Take rods out. Put the rest of the neutralizer in. Then rinse for 3-5 more minutes. Blot again. Then whatever happens after that depends on whether its leave, get a cut, rollers, etc. That's the box directions. I'm sure somewhere out there someone does something else. Like it or not perm solution is still being manufactured. The rods still exist. And people both young and old are getting them. I've had a variety of ages already. And some of those perms have been very important to how things are going.
I did not go back to school to dislike things. I just can't be that way. It only leads to me being more miserable than if I learn to do it and surprise myself by not only enjoying it but having someone be happy with me helping them. To be honest the smell of the wax bugs me more than the perm. Anyway I had a good day :)

Thanks for reading
I Love you all <3
~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment