Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day 137 ~ Meet Me Halfway ~ 2/14/14

Cosmetology School Journey ~ Day 137 ~ Meet Me Halfway ~ 2/14/14

953 Hours
64 Guests


Performance Floor Friday:
I received my second Star pin for achieving the 50 percent requirements. That also means I got to take my star and move it from the Rehearsal room door and place it on the wall in the hallway where the 50% sign is. I'll get a picture of that if I think of it.

When I checked the appointment schedule at first it was telling me I had a guest at 12:45 on the printouts but when I asked what it was for the student at the desk said the computer said it was for 11:30 and a haircut. Which was better because Mrs D comes at 1:30. So I spent the first part of the morning removing the orange rollers from Deborah's hair and I was purposely practising my back combing. Its been 950 hours and I still don't have the knowledge I need for that. Or maybe I do and it just hasn't come from my hands yet. But I do need to start learning it and getting good at it. My goal now that I'm feeling better about things is to start picking brains. If Mrs C wasn't as busy today I was going to ask her. I asked Mrs E the other day to help me with the spiral iron curls. I've got the other haircoloring and haircutting portions of class coming up. Both will be with Mrs E unless I'm reading the rotation wrong. We've got some guest speakers coming as well for demos. I guess I'm going into learning mode. Now that I don't have to be scared of not being able to do things its time to just relax and learn to do them better.

My 11:30 guest was an older teen with below shoulder length hair. It was colored red. She was there for just a half inch trim or just enough to remove splits. She had an unwanted cut of like 5 inches months ago and then she had come to the school and had it fixed by another student. So I did my song and dance to both her and her mom about how I'm the right person for the job. I did the shampoo and mentioned how I also am trying to be careful when I wash long hair too. I got her back to the chair and gently combed her out and sectioned and then I combed down the back section and was about to cut. But there was at least an inch difference in length between the longest pieces and the shorter ones. So I told her about it and that I was going to let down more hair to check to see if it was just those few hairs that were shorter but as I let down more sections it was clear that the right side had shorter hair than the left and I showed it to her as well. So we agreed that I would take the 1/2 inch off of the longer hairs and then I would just snip the splits off of the shorter ones if I saw them. Then she could come back at a later time after it grows some and I can fix it more. This is what I mean when I say that when a guest is in my chair it is not about making them my billboard. I don't care if she walks out with her hair uneven like that if I know it wasn't me that did it to her. My mission is to earn trust. I told her that. I told her that I would dry it a bit and then snip the splits off if I saw some. And I did. I held up small sections and snipped a few hairs that I could see splits on. The bottom line is that it was what we agreed upon together. I asked her which approach she wanted to take and she went with mine instead of going for the even up. Either way I gave her options and went with it. I gave her my card. I let her know that it might take awhile before there's anything worth trimming but she also may need to come back for a color retouch before June so perhaps both would be ready for the same time. So we'll just have to wait and see if I get to see her again before I finish.

Mrs D came for her roller set and we had a good time. Then because she had parked further down and in a regular spot I walked her to the car to make sure she could get in and put her rolling walker in. 

I did not make Designer status for my 50%. But that's ok. I am so much better off since I stopped letting that be my goal. I'm still almost there anyway. I just haven't sold the retail. I point out what I used. Its up to them to choose if they want it. When I think about all those trims I went and got in all those different salons only one ever mentioned a product to me. The first one when I tried to give a bigger tip. She suggested I buy a product and I did. None of the others told me what they used to shampoo me or pointed out anything on a shelf or anything. So I figure if I at least point out my products used I'll be doing more than some. And maybe that will evolve. I am selling Avon so my sales abilities may improve or evolve. But its not a focus. I'd rather know someone by name because they came back.

Thank you for reading
Love You All <3
~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment