Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 7 ~ Change For A Penny ~ 7/30/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 7 ~ Change For A Penny ~ 7/30/13

Today was day 2 of Haircutting.
We started the day with theory in the book and going over our workbooks.
Then after break we did a one length cut on the other Penelope (Penny) manikin. We went with a bigger trim this time so I probably trimmed about 3 inches. I cut it to just below the ring of the manikin clamp. I did the whole thing without being checked or corrected nor needing to be. She was watching but didn't stop me for anything. I'm just glad I don't have to squat like a catcher because my thighs were dead today. When I was squating like that yesterday I couldn't concentrate on what i was doing because I was trying so hard to not hurt myself. I'm sure there will come a time when I have to squat like that for a real client but for the most part I have the option of having someone stand if I needed it. Or just make sure I'm cutting right like I'm doing now.  There are also stools for some salons.

So I went to lunch feeling pretty good and right on track. 
After lunch we watched a slide show on the Wella products we carry and then we watched a video on how to blow dry. 

Then after break it was time to get to twirling the brushes. I really only used my dryer less than a handful of times at my old school. Half of those were for blowing out tight curls with the comb attachment. So I was pretty much learning this from scratch again. I know the trick with using the barrel of the dryer to help hold the hair but otherwise I'm new. So Went to work and was getting the hang of it for the most part. I did the initial drying fairly well with just a few pointers. Then when it came time to use the round brush came the most useful tip. I was trying to pick the section up with the brush and she picked it up with her fingers. "Ah Ha" moment. Plus she showed me how she was still holding the hair with the brush and then putting the dryer barrel back under the hair to start blowing that section again. I had noticed it earlier during her demo but it slipped my mind during my other drying. But I got my swagger on and was doing a bit of dancing around that head. Felt like I'd been doing it my whole life. Which is still ironic since its probably the 20th time I've used a dryer at all counting on myself. I didn't quite get the last bit of the top done because we had to stop for some paperwork. 

Tomorrow we'll be using either the Flat iron or the Marcel curling iron or both. And we're supposed to do a long layered cut. 

So today was the great day I was expecting. I wore my new Black with White Polka dots bow on an elastic
 

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.
~ No Tangles ~



No comments:

Post a Comment