Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22nd 2013 - I am a Cosmetology Student - Day 1

I am home from my first day of Regency Beauty Institue - Lakeside, MI campus, north of Detroit.

If some of you have read this blog you will see that I did blog / journal when I attended Virginia Farrell in 2000-01. This time will be no different. Except I'm going to finish this blog the good way.

So lets go about this like it happened.

I arrived just before 9 am and I and 3 others were in the lobby waiting for Mrs. S to finish what she was doing to come get us for orientation. She briefly came out and checked if we were all there and did roll call. After she finished calling the names I got over my usual jitters and looked at them and said "Hi, I'm Robert" and they replied with their names. There are 2 F and 1 M besides me for my month's class. For now until I find out the protocol I'm going to stick with Initials or abbreviated names if needed. There's O & K for the ladies and S for the Man.

Mrs. S took us to the office to go through the handbooks and little videos and such and clocking procedures etc. And we took turns telling our stories and goals. I went last and I warned them ahead of time that I was trying to keep it short and it took a few minutes but I got it told.  This pretty much got us to 11:30 for our first lunch. This is where the fun happened. I asked Mrs. S if students could drink the coffee and she said its meant for the clients but I could go ahead and help myself. Apparently not as well as I needed to. I went over to the machine and I couldn't figure out what i was supposed to do. It looked like a normal coffee maker with a basket but it was tall and had mothing to catch the coffee. I pushed the button and put a cup under it and it slowly filled the cup. Well it didn't stop and overflowed and I tried hitting the buttons to stop it but it took a second to stop. But Student F from the performance floor (salon area) jumped right in to help me out and clean it up. And Mrs. S said something about "See you're helping each other already" or something positive like that. and she asked Student F if she had introduced herself to me and that's when I found out she was F. After we got it cleaned up enough F told me she'd finish up so I thanked her and I went with my coffee to the break room. A little while later some other students besides my group came in and this time I didn't hesitate to introduce myself first. And I met lady students B and R that turned out to be in the Workshop class with us in the afternoon and I met a few other ladies too, I remember E and the other might have been A.

After lunch we clocked in officially since the orientation shouldn't count against our learning time and we opened our kits in the classroom. Mrs. C my instructor helped me with my checklist. As I was pulling items out of the boxes she was checking them off. We got that finished, did classroom intros where I told an even shorter version of my story. Now there were 7 of us in the room including Mrs. C and 4 had already heard it. So B and R got to hear some of it.

And then came the first lesson. We studied theory on Infections. If you haven't been to cosmetology school one thing you need to know is that you will learn anatomy and sanitation, and diseases. Because you have to be able to work safely, spot potential health problems on a client, and you deal with the possibility of a client or you being cut. So you have to know your stuff and be safe with it.

Tomorrow we are studying nails. The curriculums in Cosmetology Schools go on a rotating basis so they can have students enroll each month. So when the people joined last month they may have have had haircutting their first week whereas I'm on the nail week. But it works out so that during my first few weeks I will roll back around to the other stuff right before nails comes up again. It was the same way at my old school.

Then we ended the day doing our sanitation and I was assigned to wipe the tables and chairs.

Mrs C told us what we would need for tomorrows class so I left that stuff in my locker. And took the rest of my large kit bag and box of manikins to my car. On my way out I was holding the door open for 2 adults and a baby and I said "Welcome to Regency"
I put my supplies in the car and then realized I hadn't clocked out so I went back in, passed by Mrs. S and said "I probably should clock out" :)

So that was it for day 1, now I'm home. Here is what I wore for my new "No Fear" life.

I wore my hair in a sock bun with my pearly scrunchie that I got years ago with a braiding book





I wore my first ever attempted nail art
Left hand is:
Right hand is:




I had a white polo shirt and black pants and these are my shoes with braided black and white laces that I wrapped the ends around to make them into a bow shape.






No comments:

Post a Comment