Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Man-icuring - Day 2 of Cosmetology School

Man-icuring - Day 2 of Cosmetology School

I wanted to do a braid today but I wanted to use shoe laces or string with it and I didn't have any white ones so I went with just a PurpleBubba tail with bands on it except I used 5 bands alternating black and white. The picture will be at the end of this entry.

It was raining this morning but since our school is in the corner of the shopping center its right next to an opening that leads to the rear of that corner of the L where we can park. So I had less distance to walk in the rain as opposed to the front of the center.

Today was nail and manicuring day. Which I was happy about since my nail art from yesterday was already ruined. Plus its kinda neat having it right away since I've been so into it lately. We did some theory (book work) and then had our break.

After break Mrs. L the Performance Floor instructor came in to go over some of the info to expect for being out there. This is where some of my old doubts tried to creep in again. She was talking about how we need to build a clientele now and get friends and family to come in and hand out cards to everyone. We do have lots of clients for our school but the thing is we have to do X amount of different practical services before we graduate and if like the old school all the clients are coming in for the same 3 things everytime it makes it hard to finish those other things. But this is the difference. I can have a clientele that comes in and gets what I need to do. I just have to ask for help and do the leg work and stop being so shy approaching strangers. I'm getting better with this but the thought of giving everyone a card right now was trying to get to me. But its a tool. And unlike last time I have other tools. And I'm going to have to ask for help. I posted this to my Facebook when I got home and focused, "Robert, you got this. You got this this time. Its going to take some work on your part but you have the tools now. You know you want it. Take the chances. Trust it will work."

I do have tools now. I can make pages and websites and I can make flyers and just go with it. I have to do it anyway later so I might as well try it earlier than I thought. I just have to sell myself. I know what I can do already.

So back to the class: Mrs L finished and we got started on actually doing manicures. The 4 ladies paired off and then the two of us Men did each other's "Man"icures. I did S's manicure first all the way to just before the polish. Then we stopped for lunch and after Mrs C showed us the hand and arm massage. S did mine and then finished my manicure with the OPI Big Apple Red polish because its easier to see where you did it right or wrong with red. Then S let B do his paint so Mrs. C had me paint her nails which was good for me because she was able to stop me as I was going along to correct me on my techniques which I need. I learn by doing and being corrected as I go. We finished the manicuring and then did more theory on nails and Mrs C had to go do a conference call so Mrs J or G name sat with us while we went over the workbook. Then Mrs C came back and we finished up the day. Tomorrow we get into pedicures.

The biggest thing I did today was loosen up a bit with her help. I was being a bit too careful with manicuring S and trying not to hurt him. Then I got going. And then later on she helped me relax again while painting hers. At the end she told me to stop worrying about whether I know things from before because to her I'm new. And that's when I remembered that this is why I wanted to start over. To learn from scratch.

After school I stopped at the store to get flip flops for the pedicure and while I was there I got 2 black shirts to go with the 3 whites I bought. I want to be able to change things up so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same shirt everyday even though I have 3 of the same white. I also got white laces, black laces, and some checkered finish line style laces so I can play around now with braiding them into my hair or making things with them to use. Even just tying one like a bow / tied shoe.

Here is my "Zebra Tail and my red nails by S"


No comments:

Post a Comment