Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 8 ~ Penelope Squared ~ 7/31/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 8 ~ Penelope Squared ~ 7/31/13

Day 3 of Haircutting

These days are flying by so fast that its getting hard to remember what happened before or after a break.

That being said today was long length square layer cut day. In other words all the hair is brought straight up and cut even, kinda the reverse of doing a straight trim when it hangs down.

First we watched the video with a lady instructor named Linda demonstrating the cut.

After break we got started using Monday's Penelope. I went to work pretty well with it and understood what I was supposed to do but at first I had my manikin up too high because I had both extenders still on the clamp from the other trim. So once Mrs. C told me to try it lower away I went. The problem is we aren't cutting enough off to really see anything to cut because of all the layers. So it was taking me time to check and recheck if I needed to cut something. About halfway through we had a visit from the Area and Regional  people and they spent like 15 minutes talking to us. Then I finished my second side and third of four sections and as I went to start the last section Mrs. C comes over to correct my partings and she starts fixing them up and it dawned on me that she thought I was done and about to start the cut over again since we were going to do it again. So I said I haven't cut the last section yet and we got it figured out LOL.
So I got it done.

After lunch I came in confident and ready to go. I took Penny to the bowl and soaked her again to save myself some time. Got her sectioned out. Dropped the front guide and went to cut the 1/2 inch shorter. I cut it and when I went to make the guide up top it was barely shorter so I redid the front guide a little bit shorter so Instead of 1/2 it was more like 3/4 inch. I got to work cutting the top and sides on the right and I actually saw something to cut. Then I got to the back right where I'm supposed to start taking angled sections kinda like a pie or wheels spokes and I was grabbing the subsections just fine but I couldn't see where to cut. I kept combing it over and over and meanwhile everyone else is finishing their second cuts and she's telling them they can go ahead and blowdry to look at them before we move on to the short cut.

I'm here on this blog to tell the truth so I'm going to. My frustration with falling behind started growing and had me muttering to myself until I couldn't take it anymore and I just said I give up and put the tools down. Mrs. C then came over to check and that's when she pointed out that none of that hair in back was reaching. Then she went to do the other side and asked me if I had taken a half inch and I said yes. She asked me something about how I do it trying to see if I used the comb marks and I pointed out how I did it and that its halfway between the end and the 1. I didn't say I took more than that. Anyway she barely cut anything on the side and then went to the back left and there was nothing reaching there either. So she said I was done.

After break I got to start on blow drying and I'm glad I did. She showed me how I was starting from the top at first and just needed to start at the bottom first and just go dig in with my hands and not fuss so much with a brush. Then I got to work sectioning for the round brush and I had me a ball with that round brush today. I had that hair lifting on base all the way to the top meaning if this is up, out, and down \ | /  (If this were sideways like an E ) I had that hair held on the up angle which gives it lots of volume just like when I do that with rollers. And today I got all of the hair, even on top.  We didn't get to the shorter cut or the irons today.

But I'm still rating this a succesful day. If the hair doesn't reach that's not my fault. Bottom line is I learned things today and I like what I learned. Maybe its better that I blow my top today than a few weeks from now. I'm still purging. There's still leftovers in me from the old school that I need to get past. And I will. I'm glad I have her to help me.

Today's style was a banded tail with purple bands. I then put my purple velvet like scrunchie at the top. I didn't get a picture.

But I have this picture of the workshop class. I took it at the end of the day without a flash.


No comments:

Post a Comment