Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 2, Day 6, 7/29/13 - Haircuts For A Penny

Cosmetology Journal - Week 2, Day 6, 7/29/13 - Haircuts For A Penny

Before I move on here are the new manikins

Penelope & Penelope the twins. Ben, Naomi, & Reese.


These next 2 weeks are haircutting.
This morning we did some book theory about the angles and ways to hold the hair and how to hold the tools.
We then started watching along with a set of dvd videos going through some steps on sectioning and such.
After break we shampooed one of the two Penelope manikins and went to work trying the sectioning.
I just want to say once again that I love learning again. I learned a new sectioning method for clipping the sections that I never knew that's simple and fast. Not as much winding and winding and it looks nice and neat. I also love having manikins that I can get the comb through so I can actually get from the forehead to the nape with my comb without having to fix the part line.
So after the shampooing and trying the sections a few times it was lunch time.

After lunch we watched the video show us how to cut the first section. Then Mrs. C let us have at it.
I was struggling at first because even with my 2 manikin extenders that this school provides I was trying to crouch down to get eye level. Finally Mrs. C told me I didn't have to do that anymore and I got to work. We did about 1 1/2 inch for the first cut and it was just a 0 degree elevation meaning not lifting. Which on the manikin with no chair or body in the way means its as straight down as you can get. This first full cut was a bit difficult because barely anything reached the guide with all the odd layers the manikins come with. Between trying to crouch like a catcher and not seeing anything to cut it took some doing. But I finished about the same time as others. I forget exactly when break time came but she had use do the same cut again cutting an inch more and this time I got through like I knew what I was doing. Then we cleaned up and did or daily logs and such and did the extra cleanup we do on Monday.

Mrs. C was proud of us because we weren't even supposed to do a cut until tomorrow and we rocked out 2 already. So Penny got Haircuts and tomorrow the other Penny will too. This gives us a bit of an advantage since we haven't had our perm or roller study yet so we'll have a bit easier time wrapping with less layered and shorter hair.

Today I felt Real. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a scissor happy stylist. I pride myself on doing good trims and taking less. But I like my tools and I like the possibilities of what I can do with them. Being somewhere that is going to teach me how is what matters. I've been watching haircutting how to videos since 1996ish. Not only did I buy some with clippers kits but I sent away for the ones in those hairstyle magazines and then when I got the internet I ordered some too. I also found a few at Media Play when we had that store around here.
I even showed one of my videos at my old school one day. But until my hands do the task I'm not going to completely get it. So here we are at these 2 weeks for me to start getting it. And I'm going to. And I'm not going to stop learning.

I am where I need to be and I'm not leaving until I graduate.
Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

Today's style is just a tail with a scrunchie and a band. But I got the scrunchie yesterday while I was having a very nice day at the mall with someone I went to Elementary school with so I wanted to show it since its not the usual scrunchie. Note this is an after school picture and I was messing with my hair at lunch and there's no band in the middle where I usually have one. So its messy :p




No comments:

Post a Comment