Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 10 ~ Penelope Two Gets a 90's Do

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 10 ~ Penelope Two Gets a 90's Do ~ 8-2-13


Thirteen years ago on 8-2-2000 I parked in a parking lot and walked into a place that changed my life. I had my first day at my first cosmetology school. Its now 13 years later and I have just completed day 10 and my second week of the new school.

And we ended this week by finishing week one of haircutting.
Since its Friday today was celebration day so we gathered in the salon area (Guest services start at 9:30, we start 9:00). I got a paper frog with my name and 100% on it for perfect attendance last week. Should get another something next week.
We had one graduate today. And then it was time to dance. So once again when it came time to join in my but was up and out of the chair and I wiggled my hips and stepped the wrong way and turned the wrong way and I had fun dancing.

Then we got back to the room and took Haircutting quiz #2. Once again I got 9 out of 10 for 90% as I did yesterday. Then a couple students retook yesterday's quiz and we went over the answers. And that got us to break time.

After break Mrs C did her demo of the Round Layered aka Uniform Layered cut that uses 90 degree positions from all parts of the head to make a circle shape. Thus my 90's title pun.
She showed us her way of doing it where she starts by trimming a one length trim and then makes sure she doesn't cut her top guide any less than how long the bottom hair is so that more length won't come off.

Then we went to work trying it. We used Penelope 2 that already had a one length cut. I got my guide on top done and got the first front section done and then I got lost. I could not see the guide in the next section. And I had to wait for her to finish helping the others before she could over to me. When I do need her I at least go watch what she is showing the others to see if I can get it. So she came over and showed it to me plain as day walked away and I tried again and I could not see it. So lunch time came. I had my cell phone with me today and I had a song shared to my FB status called Dare. So I clicked on the link and listened to it.

After lunch I struggled some more with that front right section. She came back over and showed it to me again and I found it and started going again. Then I got lost again and she came over to help but the problem for the past day or so is when she comes to help she has a habit of cutting and cutting and cutting and suddenly I don't have anything to cut. So I stopped her before she went too far this time and said let me do it because I don't learn if I don't do it. I told her that was part of my problem last time. I would be trying to get it and be out on the floor working on a cut and the instructor would come over and pretty much finish the haircut because of time issues. So I didn't learn. And I only had a few chances to try cutting as it was. I think 3. So although she got a little miffed at me because I was upset a bit she backed off. Then we all stopped for a bit to watch Linda in the video cut the same cut but starting doing it a different way. Then it was break time.
In my notebook here I wrote "Can I finish?"

During break I listened to the Dare song again. I'll add info on to the end of this entry.

After break I went in there and took control and I saw what needed to be cut and its not attached anymore.
Then we were to start Linda's method on Penelope 1 who received the Graduated bob yesterday. But I only got as far as the bangs guideline before it was time to start sanitation and such.
Great day, week, 2 weeks. I also got my name tag today. I'll get a picture soon. But it has my name on it. Not just a sticker.  :)

Today's style: Rainbow Braid on an elastic from Claires






Dare
by Stan Bush from Transformers The Movie (80's cartoon)
http://youtu.be/NouZB6QuCys

Lyrics

Sometimes when your hopes have all been shattered

And there's nowhere to turn
You wonder how you keep going
Think of all the things that really mattered
And the chances you've earned
The fire in your heart is growing
You can fly, if you try leaving the past behind
Heaven only knows what you might find

Dare - dare to believe you can survive
You hold the future in your hand
Dare - dare to keep all of your dreams alive
It's time to take a stand
And you can win, if you dare

Everybody's trying to break your spirit
Keeping you down
Seems like it's been forever
But there's another voice if you'll just hear it
Saying it's the last round
Looks like it's now or never
Out of the darkness you stumble into the light
Fighting for the things you know are right

Dare - dare to believe you can survive
The power is there at your command
Dare - dare to keep all of your dreams alive
It's time to take a stand
And you can win, if you dare

Dare - dare to believe you can survive
You hold the future in your hand
Dare - dare to keep all of your dreams alive
The power is there at your command
Dare - dare to keep all your love alive
Dare to be all you can be
Dare - 'cause there is a place where dreams survive
And it's calling you on to victory

No comments:

Post a Comment