Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 20 ~ "You're Gonna Go Far" ~ 8/16/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 20 ~ "You're Gonna Go Far" ~ 8/16/13

Week 4 and the first month come to a close. 140 hours down, 1360 to go.

Today's style, I wore a French Twist with my pearly twist comb and some bobby pins.

The only thing on today's agenda was updos.

First we went to the salon floor for Friday Celebrations.
I once again had 100% attendance and this week I received a pink butterfly paper to go with my two green frogs.
We had 4 graduates and I think 2 of them were twin sisters. Mrs Sherri had a tray with the boxes of reward shears and one fell on the floor so I jumped up to get it for her. As I picked it up I said this won't be the last time I hold these.
The grads didn't really have much to say for their speeches. One way or another I'll be saying something come June / July.
And then we and I danced. The song they play is something about a Wiggle.

So we went back to class and R and B took their written exams to move on to Rehersal while the rest of us were given the assignment to look through magazines to find an updo picture and try to recreate it using marcel iron curls. So first I shampooed Reese for the first time since we were saving her for updos and not cutting her. While setting up S asked if we could use internet pictures since the magazines had already been picked through and torn up and Mrs C said yes. The other day I shared to FB a picture of a dark haired updo that was on an FB page with daily shared pics. I had also showed the picture to Mrs C and she said that it probably had a hairpiece because the back was so full. But I decided to try it anyway with what I had to work with.

So I set about blowing Reese dry and then I got to work with the Marcel curling iron and pretty much 80% of the curls I did were curled going towards the face so I was holding the hair towards me at 45 and clicking and turning the iron the other direction. So that was a new experience but I did them all except for the second one back on top that Mrs C did after I did the first one. She was trying to show me how to get the Figure 8 feeding done closer to the ends before I finished with curling the curl downward.

I got the head full of curls done by lunch. So all I had to do was come back and shape them into the style.
I told FB what I was doing and also said I'm making Magic. I hadn't even done it yet, just the curls. But I had something to work with to attempt it.

On lunch A, B, and I walked over to Ulta to look around since A wanted something by OPI. It was quite a different feeling walking through there today wearing my logo'd apron, name tag, and a french twist. Compared to the first time when I hadn't started school yet. Plus I wasn't alone. But they were redoing the comb aisle that also had hair toys so I kinda got bored trying to find something to look at.

So after Lunch I got to work basically making large dry pin curls because that's what the style looks like. And I got it done before the next break. I took pictures with my camera and then I figured out how to share a picture with my phone so I snapped one and cropped out the other students and shared it to FB.
Mrs. E came in and she liked my updo and I showed her to picture I was trying to do. Then Mrs C came over to see what I had done and I told her it was the one I had shown her. So she gave me the pointers and corrections about the bobby pins and such. Then she was telling me that I could have back combed the underneath a bit to get a foundation. Oddly enough although I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do it, I had done some and left a few of the curls in their rollers shape form to try to build a pillow.

I told Mrs C that I had brought another rolled set on longer hair from home so after break I took Suzie's rollers out that had been in for almost 2 weeks. I had her hair rolled in mostly the smallest blue rollers and when I took them out her hair looked like finger waves with perfect ridges. But I had to brush brush brush brush them out LOL. Mrs C then parted off a diamond shape near the crown / occipital and we both did some back combing on that to build a pillow. Then she put that section in a tiny rubber band with just the end curls popping out. Then she took alternating sections from different side of the bottom nape area and pinned them up around the Bun area. And then I finished that and moved on to the sides. Then as time ran out she showed me that I could just pull the top back as one section and blend it in with the rest and I've got her here with me to try to finish. 

Then it was clean up time and the end of the last day with Mrs C as workshop instructor since she rotates to the floor next. We get Mrs J next and the new students are coming on Monday too.

As I was sitting there I took my French twist down and listening to the music that had been turned up. And I was thinking about the hug that I was going to be sticking around to give and my eyes dripped a bit. Mrs C asked if I was tired and I said no and she then said are you crying and I said yes I'm crying happy tears.
Then it was time to clock out and I went to the computers and clocked and then came back in to do what I intended. R was in there saying her goodbye and I said goodbye to her best I could with not being able to speak. And Mrs C came at me with her arms open and said "You're gonna go far" and all I could get out was a choked up Thank you without letting go. I made it to the car with only a few streaming down the cheeks and didn't quite let go until I got home.
I should still see her with her being on the floor for a few weeks but after that she goes on nights for a while. So I may get to say more.

The bottom ine is no matter how she was teaching me, I learned. I came here to learn and I am. Today was a major step. I may not have done exactly what the picture showed. But I was role playing a client bringing me that picture and I created something. I find myself looking at pictures now and having somewhat of an idea how to cut the style. Something that has scared the daylights out of me for years. I just couldn't see it. Then again I'd never cut them. I wanted her to learn with us and I think we taught her too. She struggled with us at times. We had great days and some off days. We were far ahead and then far behind. But we got through it together. I wasn't watching yesterday but I could hear her over with S as he was trying to get the finger waves and it was amazing as he went from no clue to getting it and getting it as she was walking him through.. I think that helped her a bunch. Because before that she was going to have us all doing fingerwaves again today. 4 weeks ago I walked into that room and she was helping me unpack my kit boxes. I didn't know her. But it was a little thing that mattered. And she added lots of little things. Thank You Mrs Celeste. Thank you for wanting to come and teach because school was hard for you.

Bob Segar - Understanding


In closing I want to say that today, doing that updo made me feel like I had some talent. I felt like I was making magic. There's plenty to refine and get better at. But for the first time I felt like I was Dressing hair. Sculpting. Coiffing. Its a long way from the day when I was using a clothes pin to make fake roller curls. I will be using the tools I bought. Mrs C encouraged me to. I'm going to practise at home. We're all gonna have some fun right? Because I have my foundation firmly planted On Base. The past is now done. This is real now. I've got a week of Skin coming up followed by the chemicals and colors. And then its on to Rehersal and the floor and my own chair. But first lets see what the weekend brings :)
Thanks for reading :)


Pictures







Link to picture I was trying to make

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=702098016470902&set=a.124728450874531.21670.124727424207967&type=1


No comments:

Post a Comment