Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 18 ~ Making Waves ~~~~~~ ~ 8/14/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 18 ~ Making Waves ~~~~~~ ~ 8/14/13

I'm feeling it. I really am. I think I may have finally conquered the ridge making. Or at least I am close enough to get it without the struggle. Its fun. Don't get me wrong I am still happy that Fingerwaves are not on the State board exam. But I got this and I like it.

We started the day by watching a Linda video for a back comb combout. And we did some theory and workbook while Mrs Sherri the campus Mgr was watching on.
Then we got set up to do the Rubric for it. However my partial roller set was in the cabinet over night and the hour she got today under the dryer did not dry her so I couldn't use her. Ah but plan B to the rescue.
I had brought Deborah from home as a possible roller set or finger wave model and I looked at her hair that was only a round layered cut from last weeks cutting rubric and thought I'm going to back comb her. She's got some wave in her hair and its evenly layered so she already had some volume to her. So I worked some magic and passed. Kinda fitting since she's the one I was back combing the other day with Mrs C after taking my home roller set out of before her hair was cut.

Here's where the day got interesting. Earlier while getting set up for the combing Mrs Sherri asked if I would model for a beard trim demo since we don't get many beards and it would be helpful to show the rehersal  students. So I sat in front of two classrooms worth of students while I let her do pretty much anything and long as I still had my mustache. Although I'm about to stop letting that scar be an issue. Just one more thing to purge and let go of. But anyway I got to sit there and now lots of people were focused on me and if they didn't see me before they know I'm there now. All day they were coming to me and telling me how good it looks. I'm glad I got the chance to do something. Even if I just had to sit there and do nothing. I'm grateful for my Cultural Council experience for helping me with being comfortable in front of a crowd like that. I had a few jitters but I was too excited to be helping that they didn't last long.

At lunch I almost got to introduce elementary school friend D with Cos school friend A but A got in a car just as D was arriving from the other direction. D was dropping off the goodies I ordered from her when I visited her a few weeks back. Thanks D :)

After lunch it was Fingerwave and Pin curl time. A few weeks ago I watched a youtube video Fingerwave video and I believe in this video she said use just gel and not water. So I was determined to use just gel today and I did and although I struggled at first I got it. I watched Mrs C use her comb one more time and then I got it. I started raking and shoving those ridges and pinching and off I went. I asked if I did it right and she said almost but I needed my second row to be pulled out like an inch so that was like another Ah ha. and I happily combed out that work and started again and although they were more like 3 fingers wide instead of 2 I got some decent rows of waves and then she made 2 or 3 of the pin curls on the left side and then I carved out the rest of that row. And I felt great because its a part of my future now and not a part of my past. And I really did miss pin curls. I hadn't really done any since 2000 when I was in that junior class and I liked them. Just the look of them when you have the set done is pretty. I'll have a picture below.

After break Mrs L came in to talk about how we take mock State boards tests more than once to really prepare us and that's cool. Then Mrs C had us working on Building Your Future and we discussed our bad and good experiences in salons and how losing just one client can cost lots of money over a year when you think about losing him / her and anyone they would have referred and possibly the rep they give if they say negative things.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention in my journal entry that Mrs C at the end of the day told me once again how she thinks I've got talent and such. I forget her exact words but it was something about talent. I mentioned to her about missing doing the roller sets for my old clients. It was like she was telling me she knows I care. And I think she said the other instructors are seeing it too. There's some I haven't even had as teachers yet but I think my attitude with dancing on Friday and wearing my rah rah hair each day is showing. And then today with being the "Good sport" with the beard trim.

I guess what I'm feeling is that I'm no longer that rookie who was clumsy years ago. I just need to see my guide and I've got it. Whatever the guide is for whatever process. I just have to see it. My hands can do it and will.

After school I met up with someone from Craigslist and got 2 manikin heads and a hand and a good clamp for only $50 or the cost of one head.


Today's style is my ponytail fed through magnetic rollers and then curled around the last one with the shoe style clip holding it on. Yes that's right. I wore rollers in public.


Beard trim after (I am smiling, it just doesn't show well)



New clients: Ameri and Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment