Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 30 ~ Just Another Brick In The Wall ~ 8/30/13

Cosmetology School Journal ~ Day 30 ~ Just Another Brick In The Wall ~ 8/30/13

Today was Friday Dance day so I made a tail with an elastic. Then I took my curly colored strings that are attatched to their own littl bobby pins and I fed them into my tail just above the band on a downward angle towards the part of the band near my head. I have more colors of these but I felt this was plenty plus I didn't want the pins to start poking my neck.






We started the day with the Friday Dancing and celebrations. I once again received a butterfly for 100% attendance. That makes 2 frogs and 3 butterflies. I was not absent or late this week so I should get something next week as well. I did get up and dance when it was time. Or made my attempt. I think I did a little better today. I need to watch it on Youtube and practise at home. Although the jumping part is going to prompt a "what are you doing" from the next room. She'll probably think my Niece is jumping again.

We started the day with trying the basic perm wrap once again. Yesterday I used Deborah from home. Today we were asked to used Naomi the texture haired manikin. Naomi has not had any cutting. She was partially relaxed the other day but she's still fairly curly. I wet her down and made my 9 sections. Then I went to do the first rod in the top back section and I was having a hard time holding the hair and getting it in the papers because the hair was already springy and different lengths. I'm trying to avoid scrunching the ends and making fish hooks and in the meantime the shorter hair keeps falling out. So I was starting to get frustrated big time with trying to get that first rod rolled. But it was break time so I had a chance to cool down. On break I talked to A about it and how I had brought Deb from home to have easier to roll hair. But Karma would bite me if I learned the easy way. It would be my luck that my first client would be Naomi wanting a perm. So I knew I had to do whatever it took.

After break I asked Mrs J to come over and she was ok with the fish hook thing for now since we're trying to learn the wrapping and sections. So I went to work doing my best and I got all but the two upper back sides done by the time she asked so that we could at least move on to wrapping the cotton around the hairline and seeing the solution application demo. Part of that was watching Linda do it on the video and watching Mrs J demo it. Then it was lunch time.

I posted to FB on lunch that I was feeling Qualified. It seemed to fit how I was feeling. I still have a ways to go but at least I'm getting there.

After lunch we removed the rods and then started doing the Bricklay style wrap in which we do not use any part lines. We have to stagger the rods so that there are no gaps or lines lining up like a brick wall would be. I got about 1/4-1/3 wrapped and then it was break time. After break Mrs J put an educational documentary film on about textured hair. We were given the option of finishing our wrapping or watching. I did both. This was the first time I recall having a chance to try a bricklay wrap and I wasn't going to skip a chance to finish. I might have done a few rows years ago but I don't remember for sure. I just read my old journal and it said I did basic and diagonal. 
Since I finished Naomi's bricklay I didn't want to just leave her there all wrapped up so I brought her home for pictures and to put her under the dryer. 

Here's her bricklay including the top. Although I think Deborah smooshed a few of the top ones when they were in the bag together.


No comments:

Post a Comment