Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 17 ~ Rolling Pennies ~ 8/13/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 17 ~ Rolling Pennies ~ 8/13/13

Today was a day I'd been looking forward to since 1. I had been enjoying practising them myself and 2. I was glad Mrs C showed her support of me practising on my own and helping me out.

Today was roller set / wet set day.

12 years ago 27 people sat in a chair in front of me and let me put plastic magnetic rollers in their hair. I met a lot of really nice people. My first was a very helpful regular at the school. I loved it. I was scared. The reality is that these days when you think of cosmetology school as an option you're probably thinking of the latest styles and cuts. You don't expect that your clients will all be regulars wanting roller sets and perms. But that was our school. And that was nice because it keeps you from working on manikins.
It wasn't the scary thing I thought it would be because those people sat in my chair and trusted me. They made me feel good. I stunk at back combing and I was slow at rolling. I'm still slow but improving.

I remember driving home from my old job before I started the first school and there was a small salon along the way. It seemed like everyday the same lady was sitting in the dryer chair by the front window. But it could have been regulars who just liked going to that salon. My hope is that I can have a place where people both older and younger will want to come by often. There's so much to the world of cosmetology that shouldn't be a lost art. I want a place where even the busiest of parents can come by and relax even if they bring the kids. I want the kids to want to come too. It won't be just a salon so I'll have something for everyone.

But anyway there's not a whole lot to today's entry because it was all roller setting. It really was a reflective day and a chance to relax. I said it before that I don't ever want to say that I'm tired of rollers. So many nice style options come from them. Let someone else be tired of something.
I know its not something for everyone but if you need a relaxing hobby all you need is a nice manikin with a decent cut unless you like a challenge. Its like working a jigsaw puzzle only you're filling a head with rollers of different lengths and sizes. There's a little more to it but for a hobby you can just have fun with it.

School day:
Theory first about rollers and curl types.
Then Mrs C started her demo. She was walking us through by section. First she showed the top and let us do ours. Then after break we started the sides and then she showed us the brick laying in the back to hide the part lines and avoid spaces. We all finished a set using the 2 biggest sized rollers and put our manikins under the dryers. Then we prepped another manikin to try something else. In my case I had longer Penelope / Penny under the dryer and I was going to use Ben for the next part. I combed out his waves that were still gelled and not dry and shampooed him out in the salon area. I got back to the room and saw what Mrs C was showing and realized Ben's hair was shorter than I thought it was. I could have used him since I have blue skinny roller experience but I didn't want to fall behind so I set him aside and wet down the other Penny with shorter hair. Mrs C showed us just a top set for giving a swoop type shape. Basically you do half pie shaped sections like this _\ | /_ so since it reminded me of a cut orange and her hair was shorter I decided to use the second smallest Orange rollers. I got it done and it was lunch time.

After break we took those out and restarted a new full set. Mrs C had us using a more diagonal shaped section going back from the front this time and using diagonal lines on the front sides too to try to not get the space lines.

Note: Our kits came with double pronged pin curl type clips. These are the kind that do not slide under the roller like my clips. So I brought my roller clips with the U shaped backs and as soon as I heard her mention that they gave us the wrong clips I said I had mine. So I got to use mine for all the sets I did. I've still never used those other clips for rollers. They just get in the way by sticking out and don't hold as well.
I got my last set done on the top and sides but we stopped to put them under the dryer and to comb out the first set that was now dry. So we moved on to learning comb outs and back combing and back brushing. And then Mrs C showed a French roll updo on someone else's Reese that hasn't been cut yet.

I think I'm finally starting to come around to liking back combing. I really like Back Brushing. I was having some fun with that. It was like I was running a twisty sprinkler on the top section.
I know its not for everyone and being a veteran of the long hair care forums I'd probably ask first if someone wanted either one. It would depend on what I'm trying to do for them also. You don't have to back comb or brush everything.

Today was a nice day. I learned things. I enjoyed things. There was no pressure because there is art involved. We're not supposed to do it all the same way. Sure we need to try to get the on or off base parts right but otherwise my puzzle isn't going to look like another. And it may not look the same on the same head each time.

So here are the pictures




Today's hair was also about today's nails.
Last night I decided to try painting my nails and I decided to try to match it to something for my hair. So I went with the pink & white striped pom pom bands and pink with white stripes on my nails. I had some really nice pink nails done and then I went to do the white and with trying to get to bed it didn't work so well. I went to bed with at least 2 nails that would have to be redone this morning. So while the picture may not show them well there are some smudges and holes and things I didn't like. But the main problem is the polish just doesn't want to dry. I tried the freezer, I tried my new hair dryer. So after school today I had to get a new hard rubber comb anyway so I got some Orly - spritz dry. Hopefully it will work at least with the Orly polish. I can't let this drying time ruin my enthusiasm for doing my nails. I like doing them. I need to practise them.
However while I was shampooing Ben, Mrs L asked me where I got my pom pom bands and then noticed my matching nails and she was enthused :)

So here's a hair and a nails picture


No comments:

Post a Comment