Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 12 ~ Penny & Marcel Curl Up Together ~ 8/6/2013

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 12 ~ Penny & Marcel Curl Up Together ~ 8/6/2013

We spent the first part doing theory on haircutting. Going over some of the other tools like clippers and trimmers. That took us until break.

After break we learned how to do Marcel Curls with the Marcel Curling iron. A marcel iron is the type that has 2 handles and not just the little spring loaded trigger like button. To use them you have to hold both handles and the covers on the handles turn so you can spin the iron in your hands while you are clicking the iron open and closed. I learned this before but I was using stove heated irons. This time I was using my new electric corded iron.

I just want to say that this is probably one of the biggest differences in doing this now versus then. My hands were no where near in shape to use anything in 2000. I managed to learn it then but it was a pain in the palms. I've been talking about getting my hands in shape for the past 2 months and I wasn't sure if people understood what I meant. I've been doing these home rollers sets, several over the weekend that I've been talking about on Facebook. Its things like this that I know I need. And I'm glad I am doing them. Not only is it helping my passion stay on track but its working these hands. I didn't make perfect curls but I did not struggle with holding or turning that iron this time. It didn't hurt. I got a few good curls done on Penelope 2's longer hair and Mrs C liked them. Then we had a non graded technical rubric on them so I shampooed and then blow dried Penelope 2 and had to make a few curls. When it came time to do the curls I was having so much fun that I ended up going all the way down the middle parting to the nape and then said "Were we supposed to do just a few curls?"

So then lunch came and I used my phone to post to FB that I was felling Accomplished.

After lunch we watched Linda's video on the Square Male haircut. Basically its the same cut we did yesterday except yesterday we were bringing all the hair to behind the head and making a virtual square there. For this version you do a square on the two sides also and also raise a square above the head.

With the video and setting up we didn't get started until after break. But after break I came in there and I owned it again. And I think I finished first. Tomorrow we do it again a bit shorter before we move on to clippers. I did accidently cut his left chin area a tad shorter but I kinda realized it when I did it. I followed a shorter piece of hair thinking it was my guide. But tomorrow's cut will fix it. The fact that I know I did it without having to be told is good.

That makes 13 haircuts so far.

Its really feeling real now. I'm really finding out that I do have skills. There's a ways to go but I've got something to hone now. I can follow the recipe now.

By the way its kinda fitting that today is 8 - 6 because in Marcel curling you're making either figure 8 or figure 6 curls.
Here's my Marcel curls as they looked after lunch


Today I pinned up yesterday's braid with plastic pins that kinda look like a figure 8 and put my purple crochet type scrunchies around it.


No comments:

Post a Comment