Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 19 ~ Dutch Boy & Rollers ~ 8/15/13

Cosmetology School Journal ~ Day 19 ~ Dutch Boy & Rollers ~ 8/15/13

Going into today I knew it was going to be an action packed day. Not only did we have a lot scheduled but we were also planning to do a little pot luck lunch to celebrate R and B moving on to Rehersal.

Switching things up a bit: If you're reading this on Facebook I am putting the pictures in the replies / comments. Otherwise they are at the bottom of the entries on the blog. But in the interest of going in order of events lets start with Me before school.

Today's style was I believe my first attempt at a Dutch Braid where you do the same as a French braid with adding hair from the sides into your 3 strands except you pass your outer strand under the center strand to get the braid to pop out from the head instead of blend inward. I got at least 3 added pieces from each side so even though its going to look small in the picture when you see it, it is a real deal. I finished it off with a small band and put a mint green and pink wavy striped bow on it. The bow is a clip on type.

I also tried some nail art last night before bed this time using my new Orly spritz dry spray after I did each step. I was able to get done fairly well and I took my picture right away in case it got ruined. I did get some smudges from the bed sheets but not like I was getting when the nails wouldn't dry.

Title Pun: Dutch Boy is a brand of Paint and the pun is Painting Rollers / hair rollers with the Man wearing a Dutch braid

Start of school: Today was a relaxed day for the first part. As mentioned we had a pot luck planned although it kinda fell apart at the last minute. I still brought the pop just in case. C brought some donuts and S brought some Mousse pudding and O brought some chips and mexi dip. Then for lunch we chipped in to order from the sub place too.

We started the day doing hair wrapping where you take the hair and smooth it around the head as if the head is a hair roller. This is something you can do if you have curly hair and want to smooth it out a bit. Then we take the stretchy sani strips / neck strips and use those as a wrap to hold the hair in place. You use clips to clip the strip ends together but you don't clip to the hair. Then manikin Ben went under the dryer. Next up was the Classic Styling quiz. I got 3 wrong out of 20 for 85%. I missed a couple goofy ones. A few people had been absent for other quizzes so they took the make ups. While they did that I was setting up for the Fingerwave to Pin Curl to Rollers all in one rubric. I didn't know the order though so I put my On base 45 forward or up held roller, Half base 90 degree straight out from the head at that spot roller, and Off base 45 degree backward or down onto the top of the head. Then it was lunch time and I said to FB that I was feeling happy and then said Easy so far. Because the rubric was coming.

I had Deborah from home to use because I didn't know what kind of rolling we were going to do but she has the most even hair that's still got some length at about 4ish inches.
Mrs C said that we weren't starting with the rollers so I took them out and then got started with the side verticl C shapings or small Fingerwaves to carve the Pin Curls out of. I got the flat curls done just fine but then I couldn't remember how to clip the next 2 rows to get them to stand up. I was trying to clip across the circle part of the curl but not get the other side like we're not supposed to because of dents. But I couldn't get the curl to stand up. Somehow I managed to make it look like it was standing. I did my 3 rows on each side. And then I did the Rollers again on top and then moved on to the Bricklaying rollers to fill in the back to complete the set. I passed the rubric but when she checked thats when she showed me how to clip those curls again. The clips go in kinda flat against the head to pin the curl to the base. Not in the downward across the circle way I was trying. So now I get it.
By the time this was all done it was 3 O clock and it was extra time. So I decided to take that stuff out of her hair and do a full set of rollers before 4 since I'm used to having all the time in the world at home. This may have been the last time I do a roller set before I'm out on the floor with the exception of when we learn perm rod wrapping. So I need to know if I have any speed when all I'm doing is rolling without distraction. Speed is going to make or break me. I know that. It broke me last time because they had to keep helping me finish.
But with a few distractions interrupting me and running out of aqua rollers and having to choose to finish with the smaller ones I got her done by 4 which is clean up time. So for me that was a nailed it moment. I got it done. I was my own boss on that one. I decided what i was going to do with them and I tried to apply some of the triangle and diagonal lines that Mrs C suggested for not having part lines showing. I basically tried to make a C shape on both sides and incorporated some triangles. I had the bag with all the rolled home clients with me so I took one out and left her in the locker to make room to bring Deb home to dry.

She has gel in her hair still and the bag roughed her up a bit but here's what I did



Today's Hair and Nails



No comments:

Post a Comment