Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 16 ~ Today's Entry is brought to you by C for Classic and Curl and Carved ~ 8/12/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 16 ~ Today's Entry is brought to you by C for Classic and Curl and Carved ~ 8/12/13

This week we start Classic Styling.
That means rollers, fingerwaves, pin curls, updos, and some others.

For the most part this is about making the hair into shapes such as S shaped waves using different tools or manipulative techniques.

Today's entry isn't going to be very long so I'll start by sharing what I have learned about styling from the old school. The way I describe it is simple. Hair has types of bonds in it that hold its shape. There are ways to break down these bonds in order to reshape hair. Some bonds are weak enough for water to weaken them and allow you to wrap the hair around objects or straighten it out and it will hold it shape if you dry it. Usually it will stay in that shape until moisture of some sort gets in the hair again or some other environmental factor. I describe it as like a spaghetti noodle. First you have a stick straight noodle. Then you get it wet and it becomes soft and bendy. If you let that noodle dry again it usually will dry in whatever shape it was when you left it out or in the fridge.

There are also other stronger bonds in the hair that need chemicals to break them down for more permanent curling or straightening. I'll save that for another day.

So today we started with Fingerwaves. This involves putting gel or lotion on the hair and trying to comb the hair into C shaped sections. Then you comb the other way to turn them into S shaped sections and with ridges they look like waves. When the hair dries it can look as though you put the hair on rollers or take a fancy shaped pattern.

Sometimes I am going along just fine and others I can't even get the first bit done. Its really hard to get the hair distributed enough so that it doesn't look like a large cump in one area and a thin patch in another. I get how I'm supposed to put my fingers and I think I get how to comb them. But it just doesn't come out smooth. So After a few tries and not getting anywhere I saw something taking shape and I just kept going. And I made a row and another row and another row. I was probably not doing them right but I wasn't starting over. And I got all the way to the nape of Ben's head.
So I took him and put him on the other clamp and set up Penelope with shorter hair and gave her a try. And once again I was having trouble getting started.

By then it was lunch time.

It was raining today but I still went outside with new buddy A for all 3 breaks / lunch today. Its nice to have someone to blow off a bit of steam with and let her vent too. She also went to another school before so its kinda like we're in the same boat. So we're both learning new but additional ways.

I posted to FB on lunch "Fingerwaves — feeling determined."
However when we returned from lunch we moved on to pin curls. First we watched Linda's video and then we did some. Linda showed wrapping the curl around her finger so I was trying it. Not realizing that she was using a manikin with longer hair and mine only had a few inches. So Mrs C had to tell me not to do it Linda's way LOL. So I made a few and Mrs C made a few and I got the 3 rows of curls on the shorter haired Penny. But because I had all my Regency clients with me I prepped longer haired Penny really quick and Mrs c and I got through the 3 different rows of curls with one being flat and the other two being standing types. We finished the day by looking through magazines to try to describe how someone would have gotten a certain curl pattern either by using rollers or fingerwaves or irons or maybe any of them. Then we had the early Monday cleanup with the break room included.

So while I knew fingerwaves were going to be a challenge and they still are, I am satisfied knowing that I like doing them and once I get it I'm gonna have some fun. Because I want to be able to offer things like this to clients. I want to learn everything I can. Hard doesn't make it less fun. It doesn't make it less worth knowing. There's an art to it. Its an art I can and will do.

So here's the pics from school and today's hairstyle

 Fingerwaves on Ben


Pin Curls




Today's Style
Braided Bun 8/12/13
Yesterday when I went to meet Sarah I had my hair in a regular ponytail braid that I tried doing Dutch style with the center on top. I put my flower bands on it. It wasn't my best work because I got distracted while doing it. But I slept in it and this morning decided to just bun it up. I then slid my metal decor comb in the top. I slid the other underneath but the decor broke off so I took it out. Then I start shoving bobby pins in. That's how I roll when there's only a few minutes to get it done. I wore this with my white shirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment