Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 15 ~ Rollers & Round Rubrics ~ 8/9/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 15 ~ Rollers & Round Rubrics ~ 8/9/13

Week 3 of School and week 2 of Haircutting has come to an end.

Today was an interesting day. I'm still trying to gather my feelings about it.

Its friday so the day started with the celebrations. We didn't have any graduates today. But I got another paper frog for 100% attendance last week. That's 2.
Then Mrs L and Mrs Sherri the Campus Mgr went over the upcoming Student Council Events and about the upcoming salon fair where the senior students get to do a hair show for visiting salon pros.
Then they skipped the dancing. That's ok I danced earlier this week at home. :)

The only thing on today's schedule was the second Haircutting Rubric test. So it was going to be relaxed for the most part except for then.

After we got back to the room Mrs C. replayed the linda videos a bit to let us refresh our memories on the procedures. I had taken all of my manikins from home to school with their rollers in, including Deborah who I was planning to use for the cutting if allowed. So I asked her when we were doing the test and she said after break and if I could use mine from home and she said yes. So I had to scramble to get those rollers out and then while the videos played I was combing her out a bit so I could get a picture before I had to soak her down and cut her hair.

At break time I went outside with A instead of staying in. :) Was nice out there.

After break Mrs L came in to talk to us about some procedures for when you have a client. Then because Workshop students are not on the student council and Mrs C was curious she asked Mrs L to explain to us how the council works and such. After that I went to get started prepping my work station and I put Deborah on the clamp to snap a few pictures real quick of my comb out. But Mrs C came over to check her out and she showed me how to back comb her and let me try it. She also pointed out to me some better ways to put the rollers in to hide the lines in front. So I was fairly happy because she wasn't mad at me for practising at home and she didn't say anything about me doing it wrong. And I'd say we were having a good time there. So at lunch I posted to FB I was Feeling Happy. I was trying to scroll and find something else but darn fingers kept hitting that so I went with it. I was feeling something positive. But I also posted that I had the rubric coming. And I had decided that I would do the round layered cut. But I wanted to do it the way Mrs C had showed because I wanted to keep Deborah's length for more cuts plus I didn't want to do it Linda's way and have that chunk missing by the ear that makes it look like Spock would want to wear it. But I was having some difficulty remembering the procedure. I know that Mrs C started in the back on the bottom to keep the length from getting shorter. I didn't want to do the Square Layers going upward because her length doesn't reach above her head. I'd basically only cut the top. And I didn't want to go with the same easy cut as yesterday. I didn't want to go with the graduated cut because that might have taken her too short in back. This is basically what was going through my mind at lunch. So I said to myself basically eh whatever. I'm gonna go in there and do what I think it is and roll with it.

So I got her ready and got to work and I worked my way up both sides of the back at the same time. I worked center to right and then center to left and then dropped the next section. And I felt I was doing just fine. I measured her hair all over before I started and everywhere I measured I had enough hair to cut her down to 7 inches or a comb length. The problem came when I was wondering whether I go to the sides first or do the top. And she came over and I said so. Instead of just telling me to do the sides or start the top she decided to do the top Linda's way. And she cut the bangs for that guide and a few sections behind it. Ok so now we have a mixed haircut. No biggie I thought because I had already done near the ears so it wasn't going to hurt that. The problem is I finished it and started to cross check it and it looked like I had missed some. So I cut some off. She had already looked at some of the middle of the back and measured it and it was somehow down to 6 inches. I was cross checking and finding what seemed to be large bits to cut off I put the shears down and said come check me before I do anymore. She came over and everytime she picked up a section I was seeing like an inch of hair sticking out and she basically recut the whole thing. I just measured and her hair is down to 5 inches including my original bottom guide.

Ok this was not a test of doing a good haircut. This was about procedure. Did I follow sanitation. Did I use the right hand positions. Was I standing right. So I passed the rubric. I'm happy with that. But I've got a manikin sitting here that isn't showing my work. For better or worse.

I went on break with A again and then A went home.

Then I came back in and got the rest of my rolled ladies out and put them on the inner table by my books in case anyone wanted to look at my rolled work. And I went to work. Then I held up Julie and asked if anyone could guess how long her hair is since it was rolled on smaller rollers. And after Mrs C pointed about neck length as said its as long as mine. Then I brought her up to the desk and let Mrs C play with it. She unrolled a few curls and said something about how she's been telling Mrs Sherri about how I've got some talent and well I was feeling better :) She didn't pick at me for my roller setting. I don't know if she looked at the other ldaies because they were behind me and I went to work blow drying Deborah because I really want to get good at it. Its fun to use the round brush but it takes some technique.  However I will say that my arms aren't struggling yet as much as I thought they would. But its only one head worth and its not a full day of it like the pros do. So really the only thing I'm concerned with so far strain wise is bending over the shampoo bowls. There's not much I can do about that. But I'm not hurting with that yet. I've only shampooed two people so far. As far as the manikins go, I haven't been doing a full shampoo on them except for the first time with each one.

Next week is Classic Styling. Its also the last week with Mrs C in workshop. the rotation takes her away to another department and brings us a different teacher. And on the 19th we get the new students too.

I think I'm going to like having her help me with roller sets. I've had a taste of that. I don't think I'm going to mind it as much if she helps me with finger waves. I need help with that. But I do need to do them too. I can do the motions to makes waves but I need help making them look nice. I might take Deborah back in with me to do those since her hair is equal lengths now. Also for the rollers. I'd like to not cut her again until after perming.

So all things considered I am feeling awesome. It seemed longer than 2 weeks for those haircuts. I feel like I've learned a lifetime of stuff in those 2 weeks.

One thing I can say is I don't have to be afraid of not knowing. If I get a client that I am unsure of I will get help or I will say I haven't learned this well enough this time. I will let the instructors help me. Even if it gets to me. Because I have confidence that this school is not going to let me just squeak by. They will teach me until I get it. And I'll let them. Even if it irks me a bit like today did. Its still going to result in something positive.

I want this. I love this. Its not my talent. Its my heart and soul. I just picked up my comb and I'm going to start typing with it in my hand from now on. I'm typing this right now.

So here's the pictures.













Today's style
Its hard to see but I started by slpitting my hair in back into 2 tails with an elastic at the corner of the nape for each. Then I took them upward and arched them over trying to make a heart shape or a McDonald's M. Then when the tails came together in the center I twirled them together like a propeller and then slid the first bow barette in at the top. Then I put the lower one on. Then because I did'nt quite get my hair with the top one I put some bobby pines above and below it to keep it from sliding down. So basically I threw something together and put bows on it.







No comments:

Post a Comment