Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 32 ~ Winding Down Perms ~ 9/4/13

Cosmetology Journal ~ Day 32 ~ Winding Down Perms ~ 9/4/13

Today's Hair
The Butterfly
On Break "A" said this looked like a butterfly so that's what it is.
I just threw it together and took a picture.

Unless there is a change in curriculum plans due to the Monday / Labor Day today was supposed to be the last day for Perms and Relaxers for Workshop. The lineup for the day was to be the Quiz, Virgin Relaxer rubric, Relaxer Retouch rubric, and Basic Perm Wrap rubric. I thought we were also doing a Bricklay Perm rubric but that might have changed with the holiday. In any case I went in as prepared as I could. I brought two easier to wrap manikins from home with more even shorter hair. And I brought just about all my perm rods from home just in case I had to do both perms because I didn't want to have to take rods out of one to start the other.

We started the day by doing the last minute studying and then we took the quiz on perms and relaxers.
I got 100% of the 20 questions right this time. So not only am I happy with that but it will also bring my average up now that there's a 100 to top it out and get me at or above 90%.

When i arrived at school I was early enough to start setting up so since I was figuring on using Naomi for at least one of the relaxers I needed to wet down her wet set from the perm wrap I did on her the other day. So I lightly misted her with my spray bottle enough to break down the wet set and then brushed her out while blow drying. I then did the same to the other two manikins I brought from home since they also had wet sets from the perms I did over the weekend.

Turns out we only needed one manikin for both relaxers since we were doing half the head Virgin relaxer and half as a retouch. So I used Naomi for those and I passed the rubrics.

After lunch all we had left to do was the basic perm wrap rubric. I used Deborah since she has hair about 4 inches long and we were using smaller white rods. And while I was trying to time myself, this was a bit more serious so I was being careful with my wrapping. Plus the afternoon break stopped me in the middle anyway.
But I did finish and I passed and I'm satisfied with how I did. I'm more comfortable now with perms. Mrs J had to be out of the room for a little while during the perm wrap so Mrs E and Mrs L came in to watch us a bit and they both liked what I was wrapping so that helped my confidence a bit.

Part of what bothered me last time I was in school was when I would get a perm client there were so many services to go with that. There was a haircut that I usually didn't get to do all of because the instructor would finish it or do a lot of helping with. Then there was the perm wrap itself which took me forever. Its not so much that I'm slow. Its that I am going along steady but the time is flying faster than it seems. And I prefer quality over quantity. So I would take a while to finish the wrapping and then have the processing and rinsing etc which takes another 15-30 minutes. Then most of them wanted a wet set with rollers after that so that was another slow process of rolling for me and the drying time. So I'd be with the same client for most of the day and it would make me feel like I'd never get my speed up. The problem was a lack of motivation because I already felt like I wasn't going to succeed with all the issues I was dealing with. I wanted to practise at home but that didn't work either. For one thing, as I'm really finding out now, the manikins I had were not helping me any with the hair they had. Either the hair is not good or the advice to use fabric softener on them was not good. I have not used it on any of my new manikins nor do I need to. But Sequoia and Veronica both get gummy hair when its wet. I didn't have anything to help with that problem back then. It was a nightmare trying to section it. That's part of why I didn't get many practicals done in school on my free time either.

However, I still have them and I will keep them. I will accept the challenge of caring for them as I would if they were real clients with that same hair. It is because of that, that Veronica is sitting of to the side right now still full of white perm rods from Monday night.

I'm going to keep practising these and the roller sets at home. A few weeks ago it was about getting faster. It still is. But I'm enjoying them now. I'm looking forward to some nice conversations while I do some rolling and wrapping.

So unless there's more perms tomorrow its onward to color................






Thanks for reading
~ No Tangles~










No comments:

Post a Comment