Friday, September 20, 2013

Day 43 ~ Gloppy Stones ~ 9/20/13

Cosmetology School Journal ~ Day 43 ~ Gloppy Stones ~ 9/20/13

Performance Floor ~ Day 2 ~ First Full Day without the salon fair.

Today's Hair: Ponytail - Purple Fuzzy Scrunchie at nape, regular purple band at the end.

Today is Friday so it was celebration day. It was the first time I didn't have to come from a classroom to come to the floor since I was already there at a station. I received 100% attendance for the 8th week in a row. But since there were no graduations they didn't play any music and there was no dancing.

I need to once again figure out my baggage situation. Because we are not assigned a set station we cannot leave anything at it. But we cannot have any bags at the station either. So I have to either have the items in my car or locker and somehow bring them to the station and then get rid of the bags after emptying them. But not everything will fit in the small cabinet and small drawers. Its a real juggling act. Then comes the classroom day and everything is the complete opposite with needing my book bag. I think since I have to get rid of the bag afterward anyway I'm going to try using the huge bag with large totes again and just empty them at the station and take it back to the car emptied. It was easier to know what was in what then. The locker doesn't have room for everything either. Unless I put all manikins in the car and try to divide the items between the locker and station. I'll figure it out somehow but I haven't had enough practise with putting stuff in the station yet to know what fits.

I started the day with the intention of finishing the perm wrap I started on Deb the other day. But right before the celebration Mrs J told me she looked at my progress report and it said I needed 1 or 2 colors to meet my workshop milestone. So after scrambling trying to stock the station and set up for Deb I had to change gears and set up for brushing on colesterol on a different manikin instead. Then came the celebration and no dancing and one of the students that started the same day as me got their milestone celebrated and Mrs C says something like "We thought we were going to celebrate you too" and I said I had a color to do.
Naomi was the only manikin in my locker with longer hair to make the sections easier to color and peel. But as I was walking back with her I was thinking its better that I practise on her anyway since its like practising both color and relaxer at the same time. By this time I was a bit flustered and there were clients on the floor and I couldn't focus. But then Mrs J asked if I could work the dispense counter while that student went on break and I jumped at it. First thing I did was open the cabinets to see what we have. That's when I noticed that the bottles were not lined up with the labels on the front of the shelf so I set about sorting them so I could find them faster. Didn't take long before a few students asked for items and I was spinning around to the drawer or cabinet and spinning back with the right item. Then someone asked if there were more towels in the dryer and I went to get them and I was just standing there at the counter folding a pile of towels. Those precious towels that I missed out on all those years ago. They aren't anything speical and they are used. But I appreciate having them. So I enjoyed my 15 minutes and then it was time for my break.

I came back from break ready and I just set about brushing on a virgin tint to the mid strand. I got 3/4 done and then Mrs J asked if I could watch dispense again because that student was being a model for a rubric. This time I was back there for at least a half hour. I got to take the towels from the washers and put them in the dryer and fold the ones from the other dryer. And I got to stand at that counter and look out at the view of the floor that I want to see come summer when I make a speech and dance. And I got to think about how I'm doing the things I long to do in my own salon. Someday those machines and cabinets will be in a room because I wanted them there. Mrs J came by and asked if I was doing alright and I said "Yep, I'm living the dream." I was just standing there bopping and tapping the counter to the music. Surprised they didn't play Kokomo. The student came back and I had just enough time to finish up the last section of color before my lunch and get it checked by Mrs J. I was a bit confused by what kind of milestone this was so I posted to FB that I could be doing clients today or tomorrow. As it turns out this is just a school milestone as far as finishing the workshop and moving the star with my name on it from the workshop door to the rehearsal door. I am at 297 hours of the 350 for working on people. So unless I'm misunderstanding something again it should still be a week at least before I have a client. A week is 35 hours and I need 53 so that's 9 days and 4 hours. So that puts me at Thursday October 3rd to reach 350 since I still have school tomorrow.

After lunch I washed and did a blow dry on naomi to get the colesterol out. I had a later lunch so by then it was already time for the late break. When i came back I wanted to make sure that I did or didn't still need the 2 skin practicals that Mrs Sherri told me I needed last week while going over the progress report. After having Mrs J double check it with me it did say I have 5 of 7 done so I opted to do makeup on Naomi since she was already set up and ready for something. All that was in the makeup box was brown foundations and some lipstick but that's ok since that's what I needed for her anyway. So I put on the foundation and some plum colored lipstick and got a credit. So that leaves one of my manikins with an appointment for either a facial or makeup tomorrow to finish off my milestone for workshop and get that Star moved.

So here's to two weeks of clearing the cobwebs before the other fun begins.

If I get a chance I'll get a picture of both makeups tomorrow. At the moment I'd like to do more makeup.

Thanks for reading ~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment