Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 48 ~ Awesome Business ~ 9/26/13

Cosmetology School Journal ~ Day 48 ~ Awesome Business ~ 9/26/13

332 Hours complete.

Today's hair: I put a black elastic on to make the tail. Then I tied one checkered lace into a shoe tied bow.


Classroom day: Today was the last day of the Business Building Part 2 portion of study for rehearsal. We had to present our projects and take the quiz.
I started the day by picking up my buddy and project partner, A and then we arrived at school together. Had to dodge a few steam rollers, trucks, and bulldozers but we made it.

We had the morning time before break to put finishing touches on our Own Your Own Salon project then after break it was time for presenting. A did a nice job putting together the rest of the poster boards so it made it fairly easy. We went last so we got to relax and watch the others first. Lots of cool salon ideas. And then Team Awesome Sauce went up and presented Curl Up & Dye and we brought the Awesome Sauce. So we rocked it and that's over LOL. Now back to planning my real salon. Interesting project and there's a lot to it but I think if someone out there takes a chance on me and gives me the $$$ I'll make it work and be worth the trust. I think it comes down to finding employees who understand when a boss or owner really is trying to be fair and do more than the other places for them. And make sure they are the ones I need to keep the guests coming back and referring people. I've learned about how things are but they don't have to be that way. A few years from now there may be some ammended chapters to say how I did things. But that's quite a few hurdles away and on the other side of 350 and 1500 hours.

At lunch I took another walk.
After lunch we did a quick quiz review by drawing a paper with a word and giving the definition. I am really glad that last night before I went to bed I took an online practise quiz because a few of the quiz questions were the same and I was able to take that quiz yesterday and be told correct or not. I did have a to guess at a few but I got 20 of 20 for 100%

And that left the rest of the day as personal services or work on practicals. I had some time before break to get set up and then would have time after that to get it done so I set up for a timed perm wrap. First I had to remove her rods from yesterday but that just makes it easier to spray her curls and put her right back into the already made sections. So after break I set the timer for an hour and got to work and I worked without interuption until almost the end when a workshop student came in to get my help loosening up her manikin clamp. Which is a job I am now getting famous for so they just send the students to me. I've done at least 4 in 3 days. When I finished the timer was just over 45 minutes so if you subtract the time it took for me to take Deborah off the stand, unscrew my extender from the clamp and put the other on it and then wrench on the top part to get it unstuck, then unscrew it, put mine back, and then reach inside the cape to find Deborah's neck to get her back on the holder without having to undo the cape, .......... It would have been under 45 minutes. And Mrs C told me I was doing a beautiful job. This was the first time she saw me work on a perm. When I finished there wasn't enough time to do another so I took the rods out and put her back into sections in case I get to do another tomorrow. Then I went to get Ameri and sectioned her also. I'm probably going to do some practise with either short haired Penny or Ben though because I want to practise with the smaller rods before I take over the regular client that uses blue rods. Thier haircuts have at least some areas with short hair to practise on.


On the way home I stopped back at the grocery store I worked at to return the clock and measuring spoons I borrowed for the 1950's display. Thanks again for letting me borrow them M :)

Now that today and all the stress it was putting on me is done I am hoping I can get to work on handing out my cards and flyers and such and getting other things done. But first comes tomorrow and lets just see if its time to celebrate my transfer out of Workshop. Then I want to dance. There better be some dancing. I'm going to be in the mood. I plan to be.

Last night I came back here to start writing a second entry of me just doing my usual ponderings. This is the draft I saved plus what I'll add to it.

~ Wednesday October 2nd is one week away. I need 25 hours to reach 350. Thu, Fri, Tue puts me at 346. So I may not get a client on Wednesday. If I do I hope its something I can realistically do in less than 2 hours since I'll be short on time. If I don't have a client on Wednesday I'll probably have one on a busy Friday. I'll probably at least have the roller set of the Graduate's regular as mentioned in the last entry. If that includes a perm I hope she comes early enough. Especially since that needs a cut too.

I guess what this is about is that I don't doubt my abilities anymore. But I still have to keep the clock managed somehow. I'm a bit concerned that there will be a day when we are short staffed of students and I may have 2 or 3 guests to handle and I'm thinking of the old me that was lucky to finish one in a day. I did have some days with two. Right now I have a school full of people that seem to enjoy me being there. The last thing I want is to become a burden to any of them by having them need to handle more guests that I couldn't get to. I'm hoping that when it comes time to do what I need to do it won't be as hard to focus. Its not so much that I'm slow. Its that the clock just runs fast when I'm not standing still ~

That was last night so lets see what I'm thinking now. Oddly enough right now I'm feeling pretty good. I'm starting to feel a bit of that lighter than air feeling I had in June. I think more than anything I want to get as much consultation practise as I can with each client. As I keep hearing this is my learning setting so I shouldn't let an opportunity to learn something go to waste. It shouldn't matter how simple a service a client is getting I should take an interest in helping them with their hair and finding out what they know how to do and what they like or don't like. As far as my speed goes. I keep forgetting that I'm not really as slow as I used to be. The cutting is going to slow me up a bit at first. But that's where my consulting will come in. Instead of getting lost in trying to figure out what kind of haircut I'm giving I need to ask the client where they want the areas of the hair to reach and go from there. Because chances are I'd have to blend the different styles of haircut anyway.

This is all still surreal. I still can't believe I went from "Not going to ever go back, what's the point?" to having these milestones and opportunities before me. Yesterday I was going to talk about how I'm still scared. Right now I'm not so sure if I am scared. I'm going to have my trials. Not every client is going to be easy. But the feel of the comb twirling in my hand tells me I'm going to be ok. I'm ready to be ok. I'm ready to help my guests have a good time. I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna love this. Its dancing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment