Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 41 ~ You Look Skinny Today ~ 9/18/13

Cosmetology School Journal ~ Day 41 ~ You Look Skinny Today ~ 9/18/13

The previous entry was a joke. This will be the real entry for today.

Today's hair: Since the theme for Veronica was 1950's and it involved pearls and polka dots I decided that for me I would wear my purple polo type shirt since it was an optional color day and I did a French twist with my pearly twist comb. Then I took my little white dots on black clip in bow and cetnered it just above the pearls. I was saving the bow for later as you'll see. Same as this only purple shirt.


Today was Salon Fair for Fall. There's another in Spring. This is where salon owners or managers come visit us to watch a hair show and then we can give our resumes.
The students working on models had a choice between Fantasy or Professional Dress. Those of us who were newer had the option to do an updo with a Hollywood theme. (I'm looking at my FB history to see if I had a light bulb moment to decide on my theme) I don't see it but I think I was thinking about the movie Pleasantville and I wanted to go with something other than an updo. So I thought how bout 1950's Housewife that could be from a TV show like Leave it To Beaver or Pleasantville?
I spent the 3 day weekend shopping on my own and with A to gather supplies and materials to create a mannequin to mount my manikin head on. I bought a foam dress making form / torso from Craigslist on Saturday. I borrowed somemeasuring spoons and a clock from my coworker friend M. I bought some floral dresses, sweaters, and cooking aprons. I bought kitchen counter props for pie making. And I used some items that aren't for making human bodies to create arms and legs. And I managed to make a poseable human manikin that I could dress and undress. I cannot believe how things fell into place to make this work. Seriously a dollar store had feet to use. Ok so Halloween is coming. But to get them for $1 was awesome. Especially since I was going to mangle them poking a hole in the top. The Pie. A Pie? A fake pie? At the Salvation Army Thrift Store. And thankfully I did not buy anything that did not fit the dress form. I'm just at a loss for words at how this came together in 3 days with no hope of ordering anything online. And at the same time I was having an awesome weekend with my new best bud A. I could talk about that forever but onward........

This was also my first day on the salon floor although I don't work on guests until I reach 350 hours.
Because of Salon Fair the break and lunch schedule was altered a bit. I spent the first bit of time trying to figure out what I needed to have at my station and what could go back in my car or locker. We did have clients in the salon up to 11:30. The only thing I had left to do for my project was to set up my kitchen scene and then I had to take perm rods out of Veronica's hair to attempt to make some sort of 50's style wavey do. But I didn't want to set up early in the day when the Fair wasn't till afternoon and take a chance on something being messed up or knocked over. So during the morning I started an orchid rod perm wrap on Deborah to go for a perm credit. However I had to fiddle with my manikin clamp too much trying to get it to clamp to the arm rest of the chair that is curved so I only got about 60 percent done with it before lunch. Plus its a little more awkward a set up with reaching for the papers and such. But the amount that I did get done took me 30 minutes. Lunch was at 11:30 for everyone.

On lunch I took my walk to the end of the center and back. And then it was time to set up. I was granted permission yesterday to use a counter with a sink so all I really had to do was make it look like my theme counter instead of the brown it has. I taped some old contact shelf paper with floral print to the counter. Then I had a poster frame that I took the backing out of so it was just a clear frame and I mounted a curtain on it. It didn't fit under the cabinets and I almost put it off to the side behind the faucet but it would have hung off the edge because of the paper towel dispenser. Then I thought, "Hey I brought my packing tape, Just gonna have to put it up higher." I was hoping there would be a way to mount M's clock on a hook or something. I brought a pipe cleaner with me just in case. Turns out the cabinet handles worked pretty well. After that I just had to place the props on my counter. But I was saving the best for last. So first I took out the perm rods and struggled to get those tight curls brushed into something because time was running short. I got the sides done a little bit well. Then it was time. I brought the mannequin portion in completely covered and I had a step stool with it to help raise and hold her so she could have legs. I set her down at the counter, pulled the bag off, put the head on, and took the bow clip out of my hair and put it in hers. Then I put Mrs J's pearls around her neck that she had brought for me to use. She only knew my theme and did not know how much i had done. As far as she knew I had just the head.

Here's the overall look


More pictures at the end.
After the catwalk part with the models everyone returned to their stations with their models. So I did the same. And then the owners came around and they seemed to really like what I had done. The lady who came a few weeks back to demo her wig making was there too and she talked to me a bit. She asked me what made me think to do this theme and I said I was so used to doing the roller sets and perms lately and that I'm thinking outside the box a bit and that I was still new with updos and she said "so you're going with what you know." It was cool having someone returning that knew me a bit already. I helped her out then so she had reason to remember me. After that it was time to go to the rehearsal room which was set up to hand them our resumes and they had business cards and souvenirs and such to give us. Most of the owners were from chains but we did have a couple local indepentants too. A good mix. :)

And then came time to announce the winners. I was not thinking I was entered for anything because an instructor had said something earlier to someone that so and so did this and that theme and then I did something else and it made it sound like I wasn't in the contest. So when the owners came around and looked at Veronica they were looking to see if she had a number to vote on and when they asked I said she wasn't an official entry. I just assumed that I wasn't an entry and I was satisfied enough that I had done what I had done and that they liked it and met me standing next to it. And I'm not a complainer and I just had a feeling that I was better off not complaining. It would work out. Maybe they had a write in?

So Mrs. Sherri starts off by saying that there was supposed to be only one manikin prize but the owners brought extra prizes. So she announced about three winners, of which my buddy Jo from workshop won 1st place. Then the words "last but not least Robert" and I won this awesome pouch of Paul Mitchell products


I'm going to have that bag to remind me of this for a long time. And the fact that I walked today at lunch made me feel those words.

There's so many words to say about today and I can only say that I am so glad I'm not on the side lines. Everyone in that place knows that display was made and most of them know who made it if not all. I guess what comes to mind the most is that I made the effort and other people helped out. Thank you to all who did and to those on FB who encouraged me as I shared the process and progress.

In the small picture frame I have Deborah dressed in a pink sweater and another floral dress and floral hat. Its a photo of Veronica's sister.




No comments:

Post a Comment