Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 42 ~ Owning Rehearsal ~ 9/19/13

Cosmetology School ~ Day 42 ~ Owning Rehearsal ~ 9/19/13

Today's Hair: Purple with white dots Pom Pom band at nape, Pink & white stripes Pom Pom at the end of a tail. No picture. They are both in previous pictures.

Today was a classroom day. Tuesday and Thursday are classroom for my group. M, W, F and S are Performance / Salon Floor days with M and S alternating as an off day each week. This week I started Tuesday so I'll have F & S and then Sunday off and then start M next week with Sat off next week.

We started off today by going out to the floor for some after Salon Fair announcements and discussion. Mrs L mentioned something to the effect of how I made my scene exactly like it was period wise for the 50's. That was just a brief bit of a larger conversation about why a certain style won a category that may not have been what the students thought would win.

For class today we were continuing to work on our starting our own salon projects. Mrs C did a syllabus with the flip charts for a while and then we worked on the projects a bit more. During break I went over to Sally to see if they had an equipment catalog to bring back and they had just a small one for taking. But inside was a station with an arched part that inspired something with the station type A and I were thinking about. Mrs C got out the crafting and drawing supplies and I made a version of it out of pipe cleaners.
We did a communication excercise where Mrs C drew some shapes on a flip board paper and A and I were back to back so that I could see the drawing and she couldn't and vice versa when we switched. And I had to try to describe how to draw the shapes as they were shown. I call this the Apollo 13 test because its similar to when they had to tell the astronauts how to use the materials on board to fix their air filter. I've done a similar game in the after school group I was in in 1994 only we used Tinker toys to try to build the object being described. The purpose of this is that if a client comes in and asks for a certain style you need to find a way to find out exactly what they want. My thinking was to ask them to draw it. Pictures were suggested too. I think I'll have some paper on hand anyway for my clients because I think being able to draw on something would be a big help to not only show what they do want but make sure what they don't want. There won't always be a picture to use. I've used such an idea before to suggest to my long haired forum friends on how to ask for a specific U or V shape for their hair and how wide or sharp they want it.

That was pretty much what we did today. I've got some work to do here at home to make some visual aids. I've got till next thursday to get them done but I want them done before then. So I have a project to play with :)

Journaling: I'm coming to that point where last time my journal entries went from dialy to almost daily to few and far between. I'm having a lot better time this go around and I don't expect my entries to taper off. However they may become less wordy because there's only so much for me to say about what I did to a manikin or to a client. Unless its something new or something interesting happens. Which I do look forward to. There's many firsts coming. But just note that there may be times when I have an entry as short as "I had 2 roller set clients today and both were happy" I hope I write more than that. But it will depend on what happened and how much time I have. I do have to continue to try to get my time management in order and other things.

So that's it for today. I'm going to see if I can get some of the project worked on.

Thanks for ready.
Hope you're having a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment