Monday, November 25, 2013

~ 6 Months ~

Cosmetology School Journey ~ 6 Months ~

Its been 6 months since I walked out of that salon in Marine City, MI feeling let down and still afraid. Still feeling like an outsider. I had already lost that dream after leaving school so long ago. No matter how many salons I visited or how many inches I was going to let them trim I was never going to be anything but a head of hair. And I was never going to be in one long enough to meet a friend. Not with my shyness preventing me from saying much.
I came home from that ride and shouted to the world that I had enough of being afraid. I did some things that set the ball in motion.

Today I drove home past that salon. I got up at 6 am and I drove an hour and a half to get to a salon in Lexington that was nice enough to invite stylists from other salons to come there and listen to a Matrix Rep give a color correction class and talk about their newest products. I took a chance last night and I asked on their FB page if students could come and they responded in enough time for me to work out being able to go. The class was at 9. I got there by 8:40 but I wasn't sure if anyone was there yet. So I went to the door  at 5 till 9 with my notebook and pen ready and it was unlocked so I entered. I also had my manikins and equipment in the car just in case. I said who I was and they pulled up a chair, shaped like a hand, for me and I sat down, pulled out my Senior Student name tag and put it on my shirt. Then the Rep passed around big pads of promotional materials with the colors for us to peel off sheets from and then she started talking. There were some stylists from the neighboring town who used Redken instead of Matrix and she asked what we used and I told her Wella - Koleston and Color Touch. I think for me the best experience was
since I really didn't understand the mixtures and such she was mentioning yet was that the stylists were getting to ask about situations they encountered and wondering if they did something right or how to do something different. I only learned a tiny bit but those materials had some neat little charts and such on them to show how to match certain levels to an underlying pigment and a neutralizing tone. It may or may not match our brand but its something to help me get an idea when I start trying it. She did a quick demo of a foiling technique as well so I did get something out of the class that I can apply.

The class was nice. But most important was that I felt welcomed. I felt comfortable. I felt like I belonged there. Even not knowing 95% of what I needed to know to get the full benefits of the class. I didn't feel like a student. And I wasn't treated like one either. I felt like I was home. And this time I had a whole drive down that river to feel that way and reflect on it. And what I have decided is that I want more. I'm going to do what I can to get in to any salon that wants to let me learn something regardless of whether they have a job or not. I want to learn. I want to hear about those experiences. I want to see how they do their blow drying. I want to learn from anyone that wants to be enthused about teaching me or letting me observe. I want to attend more classes in a nice setting like that. So I had a great day.

But I was already having an awesome weekend. I did some haircutting practise. I chipped away like a sculptor instead of focusing so much on rules. First up was the Lori twin that I had already given that fast haircut to at school that needed fixing. So I went for a graduated bob type cut. And I like how it turned out. It sprang up a bit shorter to lip length instead of chin length. And I accidently snipped a spot into her nape hair with my shears. But it was fun and I like my results.

Then I was thinking of giving Kim a pixie to help get over any issues i have with going from longer to super short so sudden. If I have any anymore. But first I decided to fix the A-Line bob that I had tried to give before. It was a good one but the nape area underneath didn't look right before. So I cut one that I really like. And then using a picture that a friend suggested I tried to copy a style that brought the hair up to the chin. But I had to leave her to dry since I finished later at night and couldn't make blow dryer noise. But after seeing the way it looks both wet and now dry I just don't want to cut her shorter yet. So I went on Craigslist and found some used manikins for a good price.  So what follows are the pictures for those who weren't seeing them on FB.




Thanks for reading
~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment