Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 77 ~ 100 Journal Entries ~ 11/6/13

Cosmetology School Journey ~ Day 77 ~ 100 Journal Entries ~ 11/6/13

I'm now at 534 of 1500 Hours of this new cosmetology school journey. I have attended school everyday so far thanks to some help. My projected graduation date has gone from June to May because of that. I was going to do my usual progress report type post or maybe repost an earlier entry or something. But I'm going to simply state that I have no complaints. The way things are going I foresee at least another 150-200 entries. I love what I do. I'm lucky that I'll be paid to do it. People have sat in a chair in front of me and they have left smiling. I'm not giving that up. I love what I have found out that I can do. I'm not fearing or dreading having a guest this time. I like the unknown challenges. I still need to get my speed up. But at least this time I'm getting to physically learn things so I have the chance to get that speed up. Its fun. Its fun knowing that I'm going to get it.

Today's Hair: Spin Pin bun with my purple bow with white hearts clipped onto it.

Performance Floor Wednesday:
I didn't have any guests today.
Our assignments for today were two things. First Mrs L asked us to look in the books for an updo picture and try to make it as if one of the guests had requested it. Then look for a haircut picture and try that.

I chose this picture

I was pretty lost trying this. I let those bangs in the picture haunt me a bit because I don't have any manikins with them. At least not like that. I chose Reese since her hair is still uncut and longer than the others. She's the one I did the other updo on in Workshop class in August. The main thing is I needed the hair to reach to the top of the head. After playing with pinning it up and rubber banding it and sectioning it different ways I finally figured out a way that could work. So I got it pinned up near her crown with a tail above the pinned parts facing forward. I guess it would be like a scorpion tail pointing forward. But it was lunch time.

I was not having a good day with this. I felt lost. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing. Mrs C and Mrs E were not there and Mrs L was busy. I was also trying not to ask for help. I knew what I wanted to do. I just had to figure out how to do it. So I walked down to Subway at the end of the center and got lunch and walked back to eat in the break room. I gotta say it feels nice to walk that fast and not hurt.

So I came back and the rubber band had broken and the pins were loose and I was considering throwing something. I took the pins out. I made a round or horsehoe shaped top section. I put the pins back in. I made the tail and banded it and folded the tail and looped the band over that too to give me my little bumpy hill that I wanted to put pins into. Then I grabbed my Marcel iron and I started making figure 8 curls and its amazing how easy they are now. There's still clicking and turning but I'm not fighting with the iron anymore. At this point I didn't care so much what the outcome was because I was going to have some curls to do something with. I was still making the curls when Mrs C arrived at 1. But I only had a few in back and the two sides left. Then it was time to start pinning. I was very happy with how it turned out. It wasn't the smoothest most perfect thing. I didn't use spray. But given how my day started and the fact that I did this without help and I finished it. I didn't leave any spots on my hill without a little loopy curl so I was happy. But at the same time I was going to have to have Mrs C check it and I remember what happened last time. So I snapped my pictures with my phone while I had the chance just in case she was going to decide to show me something. Funny thing is I did this updo this time the way she told me to do the the one she was showing me last time. I made something to wrap and pin my loops to just like she had me doing before when it was her idea. So what does she say? Something about how I've got a lot of pins and that I could have done more than one tail or something and the way she was telling me to make the section was pretty much what I had done but I just listened and kept that to myself. Then she mentioned that I could make the partings in the back on a diagonal and that's when it hit me that I meant to do that in the first place but I lost that train of thought before I started making the curls. I ended up doing horizontal curls but I at least tried to bricklay them. In any case She did not mess with it and said it was good so it was after 3. I still needed to do a haircut. I went to grab a book for a picture but they weren't on the desk. So I said the heck with the picture I'm just going to go for the hardest and do the round layers. I set up Lori twin with the highlights because they are for cutting. And I stepped on the gas like Mrs C keeps saying. I started at about 3:20 and stopped around 3:44 and even though I knew it was probably uneven and lots of bits to fix I had her come to check it. My back was cut decent but when I went to the sides I skipped a step or two so that left a few things. So she snipped a few spots and such and I got my credit. Then she took like 10 minutes telling me the difference between the State board round layers and the one we do for people. Anyway I wish she wouldn't have fixed the cut. I think its just as important for me to learn to fix a cut as it is to learn them . Her showing me the spots to cut is one thing but I need to do the fixing. Its one thing to have her help me on a person to keep me from a hack job. But I have another manikin with a haircut that I have no idea if I cut something or not. Mrs J checked my haircut rubric yesterday and I had some things to fix and I knew that before she checked it. I got my credit and then I fixed the cut and I like the way it turned out. The point is I cannot learn by being shown. It just doesn't work. At least not with cutting. I've watched it a million times. But its different when the hair is between my fingers and I'm trying to line my eyes up with it. I don't like feeling this way. I want to let her help. I wish it were some sort of pride thing. But its not. My hands have to do the work. I can't say it any clearer. And the manikins are supposed to be for me to make the mistakes on and fix so that I don't have to make the mistakes on people.

I was proud of my cut. I felt like I knew what I was doing. If I had a few more minutes I would have fixed it before calling her over. I'm still happy with what I did. I think since I did my rubric already I'll just take her with me tomorrow and maybe cut her a bit shorter or try a different cut. Maybe I'll do the picture thing. I'll have some time to play.
Anyway here's the pictures of the updo and the cut







Thanks For Reading whether its been 1 or 100 entries or even a sentence :)
~ No Tangles  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment