Saturday, October 5, 2013

Day 54 ~ Wash, Rinse, Straighten, Repeat ~ 10/5/13

Day 54 ~ Wash, Rinse, Straighten, Repeat ~ 10/5/13

374 hours
4 Guests so far

Today's Hair: White with colored flowers bow from Gymboree placed over a spin pin held bun. Tail had bands on it. I also put a few bobby pins in just to be safe. I took the picture right after I did it. I did put on more bobby pin in around 1 pm but it held all day without being tight.

Saturday and Monday are always Performance Floor days from now on. So today was a floor day.
I had a 9:30 guest today again but this time I was ready because it wasn't hectic with the celebration. Plus I only had what would fit at the station to unpack except for the bag to put in the locker.
My first guest of the day was a 12 yr old girl with an S name. She had come with her mother for Shampoo and Thermal styling. The mother was someone else's guest. I had a lot less fumbling about today so I got through the task without help. It took me 2 hours. Her mother was pleased and she was as well. Her mother at the beginning showed no signs of doubt in my abilities. I asked S how long she'd been coming and she said 2 years. So I was comfortable and confident in my abilities and relaxed and I got through it. I made a tip.
  
I asked if I had another coming in and I was told I had another thermal coming in at 2:15. I was either going to get a mother or her daughter. Took my lunch at 11:30 so that was 2 hours for the first guest. On lunch I posted to FB "sweet redemption. for yesterday and for 12 yrs ago. awesome day so far..... — feeling accomplished." and the reason I say that is not only did I get over the hurdle from yesterday but I straightened the hair of a child. A 12 year old. That's significant because she would have either been not born yet or a new born when I had the 9 yr old girl in my chair at the old school and touched her with the hot pressing comb 12 years ago in April. Today I held a flat iron instead. Its a little easier to use. But it did get a bit hot and there was a moment when it got a bit hot for S today. But no tears today. I took another walk today while the sun was out. It had been rainy today but not then. Just a walk today and no attempts to pass out cards. Just enjoying the positive.

As I was checking the computer for my upcoming clients I noticed that I have a 1 pm perm scheduled already on Monday. I don't know if this is one of my cards or if someone called and they gave her to me. But its mine at the moment to take care of and try to keep. I also have my coworker friend scheduled for 11. So that's at least 2 already for monday. Plus since I was looking at a view showing me all the way to 11/5 it was showing me Mrs D's name repeatedly and that was cool to see.

So after lunch I had some time to sanitize my combs and brushes and get ready. I also relieved dispense for their lunch break. And then I basically swayed and danced around my chair as I awaited 2:15 to come. I was feeling it. Kelly Clarkson's Catch My Breath was playing. It had played in the car on the way in the morning and again then. 
"Catch my breath, no one can hold me back,
I ain't got time for that
Catch my breath, won't let them get me down,
It's all so simple now"


So the mother and daughter arrived and it turned out that the mother was for me and the very young girl, probably 4 was someone else's. The mother who also has an S name had a chin length bob. So it wasn't as long as yesterday or today's earlier guests. I was on my game with her and she was pleasant and ready to help etc. I had my moment to interact with the little girl too and ask her about her pink animal and such. I did my job and although at the end Mrs S fixed it a bit for herself and told Mrs V that she was going to fix it a bit herself at home, she was happy that I did a good shampoo which is what she really wanted because she has oily hair. And Mrs V gave me a high 5. But what really made me happy was 1, I got her done before the little girl was done, 2, My watch said 3:25 so it was only just over an hour, 3, I got a $5 tip. While she may have seemed like she didn't like how I did it there is a possibility that I'll have her again and she may not mind. When she was doing her hair around the front hair line she was doing it to help show me for the difficult guests. So I choose to take that as she's willing to come back and sit in anyone's chair.

What I'm also really happy with is that the other students are really showing me some love. They're liking what I'm doing and letting me know. I feel like part of this class now. I'm not feeling like the newbie now. And I really really love doing my blow drying dance. I don't know what anyone else sees but I know I'm dancing around that chair back and forth. I own those tools. And I'm starting to own that flat iron too.
Monday I'm going to have a chance to own some clippers and chances are if I'm doing a perm there will be a cut involved. Lets see if I can get through that. I'm nervous about it, timewise. But I don't doubt my ability.
I know I'm where I need to be. 
I love this. And I love that I'm still writing about it. 
I love writing in my appointment book. So much nicer than the old notebook. So much more meaning to it. I put my name and address on the inside cover in case it gets lost. "I" have one. And I'm feeling like I have the right to have one. I'm not an outsider anymore. 

Mrs L tried to give me a nickname today so I told her I'm PurpleBubba.

~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment