Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 56 ~ Are You Mocking My Board? ~ 10/8/13

Cosmetology School Journey ~ Day 56 ~ Are You Mocking My Board? ~ 10/8/13

387 hours - Not 388, explained later

Today's hair: No picture, just a pink & white striped pom pom band at the nape and 2 plain pink bands on the length of the tail.

Team Awesome Sauce reunited today to face a battle. Today was the first of at least 3 chances to take a Mock or Practise practical board test to prepare us for what the real State Board will be like. This means we have to do a series of services on our manikins and show that we know the procedures and can do them with proper sanitation.

Step 1: I went and picked up A and had another adventure on the way in :)

Step 2: We spent the first half of the day packing up our items and liquids into bottles and bags and putting them into larger bags so that we could put them all into our one large bag. Thanks to A's help we both got organized and ready to go.

Then came lunch. I took my stuff to the car that I wasn't using and grabbed 2 manikins to use and then the classroom door was closed so I went on lunch with them. So I didn't walk today. But I played some music. Then I went back in to put my phone in my locker and then to wait by the classroom door so I wouldn't be late. If you aren't in the room on time for the real State Board they won't let you in. So this is run the same. So we were all waiting for Mrs C to open it for us to let us in and we got in and went about starting the test.

Test 1 - Manicure: Using our manikin hand with acrylic nails glued on. We had to remove polish from one nail. I was cool and calm and ready to go, as much as I could be. Then the stupid little pump bottle took like 15 pumps to give me the polish remover and I thought here we go again with messing up my manicure test. But it came out and I only had the pinky nail to do and it came off easily. And while I was worried that I couldn't remember the steps, surprisingly I think I did it right.I only had to paint 1 nail too.

Test 2 - Facial: Got a bit flustered because I wanted to put a cape around my client and there wasn't one in the bag. It was in another bag for later. Mrs C saw me and got me back on track and I went about doing the cleansing and my cleanser happened to be the gritty stuff we had used for pedicures so I had to really wipe it off before I did the massage. So then I'm getting into the massage and remembering things well and Mrs Sherri comes in. She says something about needing to borrow this gentleman or something like that and says I'm not clocked in. So I lost an hour on the time but my board test still counts. Surprisingly as much as I was initially upset by that, I was so happy to have gotten through the manicure and about to get through the facial that I just didn't care. I mean I can't be perfect. So I finished the facial.

Test 3 - Part a head into 4 sections / quadrants.
Right front: we had to do at least half of it demonstrating a virgin lightener on the middle of the strands.
Right back: Color retouch
Left back: Relaxer retouch
Left front: not used

Test 4 - 5 white perm rods in the crown area. Demonstrate applying solution and testing a curl.

Test 5 - Round Layer Haircut, but cut the guide using a razor to demonstrate ability to cut with one. We only actually cut something with the razored guide. The rest was just pretend.

Test 6 - Blow dry with a vent brush and then 3 Marcel Iron curls. 1 on base, 1 half off base, 1 with a figure 8 inside.

Out of 123 points I got marked off for 7 for 116 total or 94%

Tomorrow is currently booked with a friend so I'm looking forward to some fun times. I also have someone booked from FB for a haircut next wednesday already. So other than Friday morning I'm pretty much booked until next Wednesday afternoon. Thursday is the Chemistry quiz. I don't think I'll struggle with that unless they do questions we didn't go over. Sometimes they do. I hope we can slow down a bit with the classroom project stuff because I'm really starting to come into my own with the performance floor. Studying is one thing but the buying and putting together and all that is a bit much. Next week the students who were new during my second month will be transferring over so I'll see some of them in class again. Because of the class size in Workshop we'll probably be switching rooms though. So I'll probably be back in the old room again. But that also means more new people too :)


No comments:

Post a Comment