Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 57 ~ The Right Mix ~ 10/9/13

Day 57 ~ The Right Mix ~ 10/9/13

394 Hours
6 Guests

Today's Hair: Pink Scrunchie around my Bee Butt bun. Bun held by 2 spin pins. I put a few boby pins in after the picture to tuck some of those sides in.

Performance Floor today: Last night a friend of mine confirmed with me that she had called the school during the evening to make an appointment with me today at 10:30 for color. And we chatted and made plans. The first plan was to try some aqua color. I picked up A today and I was happy that she would get to be out on the floor with me when my friend came so we could all enjoy and have fun. Plus she has some experience with using funky colors and lightening her own hair so that was a bonus to have her there. 
I walked in the door and I was passing by the desk and the student says, "You have a 10:30 appointment" and I said something like "Yep" and then I went about trying to get my stuff resorted into my station. Today A and I chose the back wall to give ourselves a bit more room and I wanted to get some good natural lighting. So I was using station 24 today although I was also using 25. My friend arrived earlier than 10:30 so I got done and went to greet her and get started. She was looking at a Inspire type hairstyle book and pointed out a picture that had dark hair with purple chunky streaks. Plus one of the aqua pictures she had shown had a big purple streak too. After I got her seated and such I spoke to Mrs V to see if we had any blue color to make the aqua. Our brand does have a darker blue green color available but we didn't have it today. (Some of the exact details of this are fuzzy as to how they happened but anyway) Somehow the conversation turned to purple. This might have been after Mrs V and I both went to tell my friend or we may have still been at the dispense counter. Either way she said we didn't have Purple either. I broke the news to my friend who was game for doing whatever we could do today. As we were looking through the books again Mrs V said we did have a way to make purple. So it was back on the table to do. Lets just say I was calm but not so calm. I had plenty of determination and confidence. But I was lost on what to do. A was helping out and telling me to do the color block a certain way to get a peek-a-boo something or other and I was thinking yeah sounds good. "What's a color block?" and then A explained it and it was making more sense. And this whole time Mrs V was coming back and forth and being involved so I thinking this was part of her getting involved with the consultation like usual, like I assume it goes. So since I now know I need to do foils and I'm going to weave some I'm starting to get my game face on. I belly up to the bar to get supplies and Mrs Sherri is there asking me if Mrs V had told me what to get and such and now I'm like well actually not really. I knew that we were going to be doing the purple and that I was going to be lightening some strands. But now I was feeling like I messed something up and it took a few more back and forth trips and having Mrs Sherri coming over and getting involved to sign off on what we were doing and what the cost would be etc. We were doing a full head of lightening with a toner to come later aka the purple. Then a haircut / trim later.

It took me a bit to get going because this was only my third time doing foils. I did some in class to learn it. I did Penny's copper front hair. And now here's a whole head on hair that's longer than shoulder length.
So I started doing some and then Mrs Sherri came over and gave me a refresher on how to do one or two. And then I went from there. I had just dropped my metal tint tail comb on the floor when she came over so when she asked where it was I said the floor. I haven't had a chance to buy my extra combs and brushes yet like I've been meaning to. I'm not going to lie about it. It took me quite a while to that whole head. Because of some confusion earlier I started doing the them on the right front area because at first I thought we were just doing those two front areas. So I got through it and then started the right back and then remembered that I was supposed to start back there. Because it was taking me a while the first section was already lifted well enough to remove. So I had some help from the other half of Team Awesome Sauce. While I was doing the foils the veteran student working the dispense was working with Mrs V to mix an even better purple than the one she had said we were going to try. I heard them over there getting all giddy over it and the test strands they were doing. So I was quite happy about that. So My friend and I were having a nice time and since I had help removing the processed ones while I was still going I was relaxing a bit about not being super fast yet. Long story short I got the last of them done at 2:30. Told you I wasn't going to lie. About 4 hours. However my newer batches of lightener needed more liquid to them and that slowed me down a bit with my brushing. Next time I'll know what consistancy I would like and get it. I then got to take my lunch while A took care of the shampooing and applying the toner. And then since I had gotten to that point after all and we still had time I came back and did a slight trim. Nothing fancy and might not have been completely even. But she was kinda excited to see how it looked because everyone was ooing and ahing about how it looked. So I got her blown dry and then the fun part. By then Mrs J, Mrs L, Mrs V, Mrs Sherri were all there and other students were coming to look and we went outside to look at it and of course to let my friend look at her own hair. We were having quite a purple party.

I was getting a lot of praise and it felt good but I loved the team effort it took. I titled this The Right Mix not just because of the purple mix but because that student saved the day. My friend would have been ok doing something else but I'm so glad we didn't have to settle for that. And to have A being such a big part of this too was Awesome. I don't care how much money I make or what the salon charges etc if I can have the Team experience I had today. 

And I'm left once again asking myself "Did I really do that?" "Did today really happen?"
But this picture is now part of my portfolio. It may not be the best weave job to a professional eye. But there's so much that went into this picture from our team effort that I can't help but be proud. And it does not do justice to the color. The color pops. Its there if you can't see it. Trust me it's there.

Her natural color was a medium brown in the crown area similar to mine. She had copper color and some lighter blonde bits on the mid strands and then the bottom third in back was black. She has the after lightening picture so if I get it I'll share that. But for now here is the after.


If I can take a perm from 2 hours or more down to the 45 minute time limit then I know I can get this down too. I just need to find my groove now that I know what to do.
I hope she knows how much this meant to me letting me learn this. I said so. 
I hope others who saw her afterward like it. 
History will record that the first guest color I did was purple. I PurpleBubba did purple. I mean same as Grape Juice purple.
And to think I could top this somehow? Maybe but I'd consider everything a tie if it could.
This was the best.

Thanks for reading
~ No Tangles ~

2 comments: