Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 59 ~ Love Hurts ~ 10/11/13

Day 59 ~ Love Hurts ~ 10/11/13

408 Hours
8 Guests so far, 1 repeat.

Today's Hair: Dark Purple Flower with gator clip. Also purple fuzzy scrunchie behind it. I did a bun and put 2 spin pins in it. Then I put the scrunchie around it. Then I clipped the purple flower to the front. Then I used some bobby pins.

Performance Floor:
My BFF and Team Awesome Sauce Partner, Ashlee told me it was ok to say her name here so I will as you just saw ;)
I have been having the pleasure of driving her to school over the past few weeks and did so again today. Such a great start to the morning when the team arrives together. Today was celebration day. Congratulations to Ashlee for reaching her Workshop Milestone. :)
I got a 100% attendance butterfly for last week. Mrs Sherrie said something about how I'm going to be able to trade in my butterflies and wear jeans for the rest of my time at this rate. Funny thing is I don't own any jeans and prefer not to. I could go for wearing my purple shirt though. We had 2 graduates today that started at the same time. One was the grad who was doing the roller sets for Mrs D. The other was the one who did the set two weeks ago to show me. And we did dance today.

When I checked the appointments this morning it said I had Mrs D at 1:30 and that there was a shampoo & thermal coming at 11. So while I was happy that I wasn't in such a rush to set up it still looked like a tight time squeeze for this rookie. But eh whatever. We'd have made it work had there been an overlap issue. I took manikin Veronica with me to try out my pressing comb. She's the one that I had the perm rods in for the 1950's kitchen picture. But because of the extra time we took for celebration today I didn't feel like I should chance trying to set her up for that because the 11 guest could come early. Because there's fewer of us on the floor at the moment I was using station 24 along the wall for my station but I had my extra items and my rollers for later over at 25 next to me. So that sorta helped me get set. I had plenty of time to get mentally ready plus a 10:30 break so I was ready this time. I told Ashlee that it reminded me of the scene from Glory near the end when their singing and talking about getting ready for battle the next day. So that's why I posted that on FB if anyone saw that. To my surprise my guest was not coming to get her hair straightened. She walked in with dark straight coarse hair below her shoulders and she wanted a wash and then some spiral like curls on the ends. I walked her over and she had like 4 magazines from the lobby and then put her two bags over on 25's chair. After consulting a bit about what she wanted and Mrs L suggesting some products to try for the shampoo I led her over to the shampoo area. The lady seemed nice. I got her set in the chair at the bowl and went to dispense. It was there that one of the instructors whom I won't mention their name as to not cause any issues should someone get the wrong idea by these words, they told me in code based on what I had experienced last week to "hurt the client" This was code for difficult client in this instance. Wheras usually its supposed to mean they like to be scrubbed hard and brushed out firm. Anyway I got the hint and mentally was already ready for that possibility anyway. So I just went about my job and shampooed her nicely but scrubbed well. But not mean. Mrs L had told me to leave the conditioner mix on for a few minutes. I did that but I didn't just stand there for a few minutes and let it soak in. I kept massaging and running my hands through the length to try to make things as pleasant as I could. The guest wasn't complaining and she responded well to my are you comfortable and temperature questions. I didn't accidently soak her. So thankfully I got the job done. Then I got her back to the station and then cleaned up the shampoo bowl and then came back to her to start blow drying. I went to work with my dryer and handled the longer hair pretty well. I had turned on my marcel curling iron to warm it up. But just to make sure I asked her how they usually do them and she said with the flat iron. So I got that turned on before I finished drying her. She did point out that some was still a bit damp so I calmly remedied that. While I was drying her she had been reading and also checking her phone. She was keeping busy. Here's where it got a bit, and I mean just a tiny tiny bit tense. I excuse myself to go get some instructor help to figure out how to do these curls since I didn't know yet. Mrs J said she'd be right over. I went back and grabbed the flat iron and tried it on her side front hair and it sorta curled but not much. Then the guest says something like "Are you going to section" or "You should section" and I thought to myself "Oh yeah duh"
And it was right about then that Mrs J got over and said to section her out with the diagonals like I had done last week which oddly enough are the same thing I was doing with the foils. Then she showed me that the trick to getting the curls is to put the iron on by the scalp and then flip it but instead of doing the outward or downward arc, you turn the iron as you lift the strand up and slide it upward through the hair and that basically ribbons it. So I was set to go and went to work. And I'm just working along back and forth. Turning her chair back and forth. And she read a bit, phoned a bit, and then she grabbed one of her two bags and she went to work doing her makeup. I mean she did the works. Just a normal natural type look but she used all the tools. Even the lash curler. She said she didn't have time to do it at home. So I said I didn't either. I said I barely had time to put my hair in a bun. I was liking that she was relaxed and doing her own thing. Also made me feel like I was getting her ready for something special. I worked my way to the top and finished it up and then got the mirror out for her to look. Mrs Sherri came over when I called for Mrs L to come check. I wanted an instructor over with me in case the Monster came out that I hadn't seen yet. As Mrs Sherri is about to look the guest says there's a few spots in back that could use a bit more curl. So I said something like oh yeah lets get those, trying to keep the mood loose. And then after those she found a few straight bits in the lower front sides. And I took care of those and then fixed a few I found. And then she was ok with it. We went to the desk and she was happy and Mrs J told me to offer her a card and I did. The guest said, "He's a fast learner" and I was tipped. And I gave her the card. She's coming back tomorrow for something else but I don't have school then so it won't be me. But I feel there's a possibility I'll see her again.
I went on Lunch at 1:08. She had also arrived after 11 so I would say it took me less than 2 hours. I clocked in from lunch and Mrs D hadn't arrived yet so I didn't keep her waiting either.

Mrs D arrived. We had another nice time. It was much easier to do today now that I knew how to do it. And Mrs L helped a bit and showed me a trick. Next week Mrs D is coming at 1 so she can get a cut first. She asked me if it was ok if she got it cut out of concern that it would make it harder for me to roll. But I didn't hesitate to say it was fine. Its her hair. Oddly enough it did seem longer today. But I think that was because I had already worked with it and wasn't such a task to figure out. Plus I knew the results I had gotten last week with the less than my best job and this week I was getting some nice rolls with less struggle. 

At one point during the afternoon I was near the desk and Mrs L was talking to another guest. She intorduced me to the guest and said that her sister was coming next week for a curl reforming and that I could do that since its just a perm wrap. It's also known as Jheri Curl. That's booked for Wednesday at 12. I've got my FB friend's haircut at 10 so Wednesday is now booked solid.

On Tuesday when I go to Rehearsal class we're having Mrs J again and Mrs C comes to the floor. But here's the fun part. Since there's so many new students coming in we're switching the rooms. So I'll be going back to the old room for class again. I think we're going into haircutting again but with Mrs J this time.

Thanks for reading
~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment