Saturday, October 12, 2013

~ Mirror Reflections ~ Consultations ~ Ponderings ~

Cosmetology Journey: ~ Mirror Reflections ~ Consultations ~ Ponderings ~

I'm on the other side of that barrier again. Its time to show why I am who I am and do what I mean to do. I am not going to Cosmetology School to learn to do things the way it has been done. I've been saying that for 13 years in one way or another. I hear the words Hair Show and I cringe inside. Or I get angry. Or something other than "Yay there's a hair show". I'm not going into the "Hair Industry". I cannot do that. I see the need for change. But I can't stand on a tall soapbox forever either. I can only put myself in my shoes and pick up my comb. I must be the change. I must be strong enough to be the change. It took quite a purge and a few months of learning how to twirl that comb but I've found my footwork. I have my balance. I'm not afraid to be knocked down anymore. I have better things that need doing than to wait for the ref to say 10. I'm going the distance.

So that's the strong side. But what am I getting at? Its about the soft side. I am going to be strong so that I can be gentle. I am going to not care about the way it is so that I can care about how it should be and care for those in the chair.

Its simple. It really is. "Why is someone coming to sit in these chairs?"
Is it so I can play with their hair?
Is it so I can show off a picture to get more clients?
Is it because I like to Do hair?
Are they just bored and want to get out of the house?

There's probably some very good reasons but the one that I was reminded of twice yesterday and in all 8 examples so far is that they want someone to help them feel and look good. The first guest had a right to feel the way she did about not really wanting me to style her hair. However she didn't give me the chance to show I could not do it. The second let me try and I was not yet up to her standards. I appreciate them both for letting me do what I was given the chance to do. My friends came in and I further learned some valuable things. I was able to please the mother of the 12 yr old. It was hard to read how the 12 year old felt though.
Mrs D is a lady that knows what she wants and I'm more than happy to hand her the brush and let her do her own magic after she's let me try it. She's not fixing it that much.
My first guest yesterday has had an impact on me. It was a nice reminder. Regardless of how she has been to anyone in the past or how difficult, (and yes it would upset me if she was mean and a bully to others before) but regardless she walked through those doors, sat in the chair and just wanted to look pretty. She let me help her. She helped me too. I can't let some reputation of previous visits of anyone throw me off of my mission of care. I can't let their words of doubt directed towards me stop me either. That first guest last week still got my care. When I went to put that flat iron in her hair last week after Mrs L calmed things down the lady did not jump out of the chair and throw a fit and leave. So she got my best. The best I could do up to that point. And I cared.

I was going to write out a bunch of stuff about consultations but the point of that was to remind myself that I want to talk to them more about what they want and their goals etc. I'm still a bit caught up in the rookie bit with having to ask for help and I'm not getting to the heart of the matter yet. I need to look in that mirror more.

I do love this so much. It really is worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll be a fabulous designer, PurpleBubba. The way you feel about hair reminds me of J.. mylovely, fantastic, amazing J. I am sure there are things she wants to do with my hair and feels that could make it look more 'in trend' and 'better', but she respects my decisions. She admires my tenacity to stick to an ideal of beauty that most think antiquated.

    J listened to me from the get go and was genuine. At first, her peers made it seem like J was going to go nowhere. That her way of thinking and doing things would be the end of her. But I look at her books and I've seen that her popularity has sky rocketed since she started working with us 11 months ago. She went from not getting booked *at all* to getting so full that *I* can't come in to see her as easily.

    She puts aside her ideals of beauty for those that her guests upholds. Even if she would like to see me with shorter hair, or more often, or whatever, she wants to do what will make me feel beautiful..... even if it means telling me 'no' because she knows I'll be upset if I go too short too quickly.

    Keep it up, my man. I have a feeling you'll be one of those diamonds people will cling to once you're found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again :)
      A few months ago I was still thinking these thoughts and hoping to try them. I'm not hoping and wishing anymore. People are giving me the chance. I love it.

      Delete