Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Day 67 ~ Another Brick In The Wall ~ 10/23/13

Cosmetology School Journey ~ Day 67 ~ Another Brick In The Wall ~ 10/23/13
But I do need this education ;)

464 Hours
13 Guests

Today's Hair: Briad with two pink bows

Performance Salon Floor Today: I did not see any sign of the cancelled color retouch coming in today. So it was going to be a manikin day unless someone called for an appointment since we only had about 3 guests already coming in. Today's assignment was bricklay perm wraps. We have to do whatever the assignment is and get credit for that before we do any other manikin stuff. Since I had just done her haircut and knew her hair was as close to even lengths as I could do I chose Suzie to do mine on. I had to first take the rods out of Kim's hair from the piggyback perm the other day. I ended up not getting credit for that because it wasn't done and I had to remove the rods so I couldn't keep it to finish. Oh well at least I got the practise. So I got a bit of a later start than some of the others today since I also sanitized some of my brushes and combs first. Mrs Sherri came over to our row and says "Those look good" to everyone and I said "Thanks" and I was just starting my carve out for the first rod. A short while later she came back and she and Mrs E were commenting on how I was catching up or something about how I had 5 placed. I was given 11:30 lunch time today. While on lunch Student T from the desk opened the door to outside to tell me that I had a shampoo thermal coming in at 12. When I read the name it was ringing a bell with me as though i might have had her already. Then when she arrived I noticed it was a lady that had been there on Saturday while I was working desk so I had seen her name on the computer then. She said she had a rare day off and just wanted a wash and round brush. She had tried a dry shampoo earlier in the day but for some reason it wasn't working for her today or something so she wanted to get a fresh start. So I helped her relax on her day off and with some pointers from Mrs C, I got to blow dry her pretty and shiny below shoulder length hair. As Mrs C was giving the final check with me I was saying something about how it was nice she came etc and she called me by some other name so I offered her my card. Its hard to describe the exact situation because I forget the words but it went well. And Mrs C said something a minute later about how she has my card. So we'll see if she requests me next time. I told her next time she comes I'll rock it out in no time.

I'm starting to get a bit more comfy with Mrs C helping out. The bottom line with her is she sees my potential and is trying to help me. And its not her I'm upset with when she helps me. Its those thoughts about the past that make me think things will be like the old school. They aren't going to be. For one thing I'm not the same. I have to remember that one of these days I'm not going to have these instructors to come help me or give me pointers. I may or may not have coworkers that want to help. But first I'd have to perform and get the job. I started over for a reason. I was right to do it. I just need to remember to learn what I came to learn while I can. Especially since I read on a salon's FB page how the owner is upset that the schools aren't teaching good blow dries, shampoos, and iron curls so I better learn from someone who is trying to teach.

As I was getting back to work on the bricklay Mrs L came in and she came over to point out how to wrap the back half. After I started doing it I remembered that I was doing the same thing I had done with the back of the hair on the curl reform last week.

At the end of the day I was cleaning up and putting some of my garbage in the cans down the row so I was strutting down the catwalk for the ladies. I told them i was practising for the next salon fair. I don't have the dancing down yet but I got the strutting. Most of the time when I'm outside on break I'm walking in figure 8's or in circles. One of these days I'm going to bring a walk in back in that door with me. Or at least have them come in and book me for later. I'm getting to that point where its going to be more than a card offer. I've found my voice.

Tomorrow is classroom day. We have the relaxer quiz and the other half of the class does their rubrics. That means I may get to do some other manikin practise while they do theirs since they got to while I did mine. My two new manikins came today that I ordered specifically for cutting. So here are the Lori twins and the pictures of the bricklay I took with my phone camera.




So that's it for today.
I brought Suzie home with the intent of removing her rods and remembering to bring the rest to school that I left at home.I'm trying to remember to bring the Lori twins with me tomorrow on the chance I may get to cut them in a class with Mrs J teaching to let her help me if she has anything to add. The next two weeks are mens cuts so I'll at least get something from her. But I don't know who is getting what cut. I might just let a Lori volunteer for something really short. They cost me less than the male manikins would.

Love you all <3
~ No Tangles ~

No comments:

Post a Comment